March 28, 2024, 01:34:08 pm

News:

This site is now on a new server!

Christianity Divides Families

Started by Unbeliever, April 21, 2008, 04:30:02 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Unbeliever

April 21, 2008, 04:30:02 pm Last Edit: May 08, 2008, 10:41:43 am by Unbeliever
I've heard so many stories about families in strife over religious issues that I'm beginning to think religion is divisive.  :roll:

Few of Jesus' "prophecies" have come true; one of the few that has is his prediction that his religion would tear families apart:

Matthew 10:21-22
QuoteAnd the brother shall deliver up the brother to death, and the father the child: and the children shall rise up against their parents, and cause them to be put to death.
And ye shall be hated of all [men] for my name's sake: but he that endureth to the end shall be saved.
Luke 12:52-53 
QuoteFor from henceforth there shall be five in one house divided, three against two, and two against three.
The father shall be divided against the son, and the son against the father; the mother against the daughter, and the daughter against the mother; the mother in law against her daughter in law, and the daughter in law against her mother in law.
Matthew 10:34
QuoteThink not that I am come to send peace on earth: I came not to send peace, but a sword.
For I am come to set a man at variance against his father, and the daughter against her mother, and the daughter in law against her mother in law.
And a man's foes [shall be] they of his own household.
Luke 21:16
QuoteAnd ye shall be betrayed both by parents, and brethren, and kinsfolks, and friends; and [some] of you shall they cause to be put to death.

Jesus taught that we should hate our whole family, or at least not love them more than him:

Matthew 10:37
QuoteHe that loveth father or mother more than me is not worthy of me: and he that loveth son or daughter more than me is not worthy of me.
Luke 14:26 
QuoteIf any [man] come to me, and hate not his father, and mother, and wife, and children, and brethren, and sisters, yea, and his own life also, he cannot be my disciple.

Jesus taught that we should leave our families for profit now and in the afterlife:

Matthew 19:29 
QuoteAnd every one that hath forsaken houses, or brethren, or sisters, or father, or mother, or wife, or children, or lands, for my name's sake, shall receive an hundredfold, and shall inherit everlasting life.
Mark 10:29-30 
QuoteAnd Jesus answered and said, Verily I say unto you, There is no man that hath left house, or brethren, or sisters, or father, or mother, or wife, or children, or lands, for my sake, and the gospel's,
But he shall receive an hundredfold now in this time, houses, and brethren, and sisters, and mothers, and children, and lands, with persecutions; and in the world to come eternal life.
Luke 18:29-30 
QuoteAnd he said unto them, Verily I say unto you, There is no man that hath left house, or parents, or brethren, or wife, or children, for the kingdom of God's sake,
Who shall not receive manifold more in this present time, and in the world to come life everlasting.

In fact, the Bible as a whole is decidedly weak where "family values" are concerned, so how did the Christian Right latch onto it?

Family Values in the Bible
"Some say God is living there [in space]. I was looking around very attentively, but I did not see anyone there. I did not detect either angels or gods....I don't believe in God. I believe in man - his strength, his possibilities, his reason."
Gherman Titov, Soviet cosmonaut, in The Seattle Daily Ti