March 28, 2024, 01:46:03 pm

News:

This site is now on a new server!

AMAZING PHYSICS TOYS TO MAKE YOU SAY WOW!

Started by Unbeliever, January 08, 2019, 03:25:20 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Unbeliever

QuoteThis video contains :

👉 The Milky Way in a Sphere: the distribution of stars in our home galaxy, laser etched into a crystal sphere, according to the most recent telescopic surveys and mappings- including the stars in the Sagittarius Dwarf Galaxy

👉 Heng Balance Lamp: magnetic suspension sculpture and light- with two neodymium magnets on cords suspended by their mutual magnetic attraction. In this design by Zanwen Li, the bottom cord engages the light switch.

👉 Rubin Vase: the physics and psychophysics of vision and perception are on display with this glazed ceramic version of psychologist Edgar Rubin's famous vase.

👉 Kinetic Rubin Vase by exploratorium

👉 I ❤️ Holograms: put on these specs and every source of light gets a holographic image of a heart overlaid- in this case a candle flame and a dot from a red laser.

👉 Primed Siphon: liquid moves until the water levels are equal- curious combination of the effects of gravity, molecular cohesion, and atmospheric pressure.

👉 Plasma Arc Lighter Physics: dual arcs of plasma exceed 1100 C (2000 F) on this flameless lighter.

👉 360° Book: Earth and Moon by Yosuke Oono- whimsical art for the science and sci-fi enthusiast. Love the UFO abducting the cow!

👉 Big Dipper in a Box: fiber optic points of light represent the actual configuration of the stars that make up the Big Dipper. Only from the point of view of our sun do they look like the "dipper"- note that one star is much further away than the others.
👉 SpinFlo: kinetic art with rheoscopic fluid in a rotating base. The capsule glides on bearings for long spin times.

👉 Automated Lenticular Display: motion animation lenticular postcard with magnetic pendulum rocking display. This Getty Museum postcard captures about 40 frames of a 2001 art video by Martin Kersels and is looped as the card rocks to and fro. The swinging is maintained by a simple magnetic kicking circuit that pushes a magnet in the bottom of the pendulum until the AAA battery runs down in a few weeks.

👉 SpinForce Globe: entering through trap doors two spring powered toy cars hug to the inside of the acrylic sphere.

👉 Fused Optical Fiber Inverter: image conduit with a twist! Each tiny optical fiber acts as a pixel of the transmitted image- and here you can see that the bundle of fibers has been twisted 180 degrees to invert the image without using lenses.

👉 12-Faced Holoscope: a dodecahedron of mirrors. A type of kaleidoscope based on truncated Platonic solids by artist Gary Allison.

👉 The Holoscope: a cube of mirrors. The work of artist Gary Allison- kaleidoscopes from truncated Platonic solids.

👉 Catenary Arch by exploratorium : when an arch is built in the shape of this special mathematical curve (even with slippery blocks) the compression forces between each block are always parallel to the curve- the stack is stable with no tendency to buckle. 

👉 Centripetal Spheres: two ball bearings connected by a rubber band orbit each other as energy oscillates between elastic potential energy and rotation kinetic energy. Just wind up the rubber band and let go.

👉 Pencil Hyperboloid: a perfect gift for any math teacher- the precisely oriented holes in this base direct 16 pencils to reveal a hyperboloid, the 3D surface traced by revolving a diagonal(skew) line, the outline of which is the conic section of the hyperbola. A doubly ruled surface for any desktop!

👉 Hyperboloid Spinner: the HypnoGizmo toy consists of a set of slanted straight nylon lines arranged to form the outline of a hyperboliod- the quadratic surface related to the revolution of hyperbola around its axis of symmetry.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qtB0I8_9Hzg
"Some say God is living there [in space]. I was looking around very attentively, but I did not see anyone there. I did not detect either angels or gods....I don't believe in God. I believe in man - his strength, his possibilities, his reason."
Gherman Titov, Soviet cosmonaut, in The Seattle Daily Ti