March 28, 2024, 06:30:50 am

News:

This site is now on a new server!

On Christianity

Started by Unbeliever, March 15, 2011, 03:49:51 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Unbeliever

March 15, 2011, 03:49:51 pm Last Edit: October 08, 2015, 05:20:56 pm by Unbeliever
Quotations on Christianity

Quotable one-liners

Quote from: Jerry FalwellChristians, like slaves and soldiers, ask no questions.

Quote from: Sam PascoeChristianity started out in Palestine as a fellowship; it moved to Greece and became a philosophy; it moved to Italy and became an institution; it moved to Europe and became a culture; it came to America and became an enterprise.

Quote from: Isaac AsimovImagine the people who believe such things and who are not ashamed to ignore, totally, all the patient findings of thinking minds through all the centures since the Bible was written. And it is these ignorant people, the most uneducated, the most unimaginative, the most unthinking among us, who would make themselves the guides and leaders of us all; who would force their feeble and childish beliefs on us; who would invade our schools and libraries and homes. I personally resent it bitterly.

Quote from: Sir David AttenboroughI don't know [why we're here]. People sometimes say to me, 'Why don't you admit that the humming bird, the butterfly, the Bird of Paradise are proof of the wonderful things produced by Creation?' And I always say, well, when you say that, you've also got to think of a little boy sitting on a river bank, like here, in West Africa, that's got a little worm, a living organism, in his eye and boring through the eyeball and is slowly turning him blind. The Creator God that you believe in, presumably, also made that little worm. Now I personally find that difficult to accommodate...

Quote from: Voltaire, in a letter to Frederick the GreatChristianity is the most ridiculous, the most absurd, and bloody religion that has ever infected the world.

Quote from: James MadisonWho does not see that the same authority which can establish Christianity, in exclusion of all other Religions, may establish with the same ease any particular sect of Christians, in exclusion of all other Sects?

Quote from: Decca AitkenheadChristian faith in its modern Church of England incarnation is a stunningly senseless belief system. A few weeks ago, an almighty row broke out about the teaching of creationism in a Gateshead school. "Rational" Christians fell over themselves to make it plain that they were much too sensible to believe such fairy tales. "Modern" churchgoers were frantic to distance themselves from the crazies and their mad ideas about God creating the world in six days. What a preposterous suggestion! Where was the science in that? Everyone knew the story of Genesis was just a rhetorical flourish. God created evolution. Now, not a month later, the same Christians ask us to believe the story of Easter. One churchman, mourning the Queen Mother, spelt it out: "Hers was a faith that rested strongly on the glorious story of Easter," he assured us. And what did the story tell us? "Death is not the last word." In other words, we are supposed to believe that we will live for ever - rather than stop and ask, for instance: "Where is the science in that?" The disputes among Christians regarding interpretation are presented as evidence of what a tolerant, robust and enlightened church we have. Arguments over whether to take Genesis or the resurrection - or the feeding of the 5,000, or the healing of the blind, or all the other miracles in the Bible - as factually accurate accounts, or as spiritual metaphors, exhaust an enormous amount of Christians' intellectual energy. But who cares? What difference does it make if the world took a week to build, or billions of years; if the body of Jesus rose from the grave, or only his spirit? Attributing God's authorship to either version of events comes down to the same thing: you believe in a supernatural power. If you believe in God, you believe in a supernatural power which does not have to obey the laws of science. Trying to discredit it by pointing out scientific implausibility is futile. Believers shouldn't need science to justify their belief in God. They have faith. I'm with the creationists on this point - or, at least, I'm as much with them as with the self-styled "rational" Christians. Christianity is non-rational. It is a historical invention, and once the assumption that everyone should believe in it is removed, no amount of reshuffling the details can alter its essential absurdity. Trying to defend religion by invoking science is like claiming that three plus four equals ice cream. The monarchy is built on no sounder foundation. Modern royalists may couch their defence of the crown in secular terms - constitutional continuity, keeping Britain special, generating tourist revenue - but God's role remains as central now as it ever did. Without a divine being to anoint the royal family, how can we be expected to think of them as different?

QuoteWhy be born again when you can just grow up?

Bumper Sticker

Quote from: Eric Hoffer, in [iThe True Believer[/i]]Whence comes the impulse to proselytize? ... It is a search for a final and irrefutable demonstration that our absolute truth is indeed the one and only truth. The proselytizing fanatic strengthens his own faith by converting others. The creed whose legitimacy is most easily challenged is likely to develop the strongest proselytizing impulse.

Quote from: Eric Hoffer, in [iThe True Believer[/i]]All mass movements generate in their adherents a readiness to die and a proclivity for united action; all of them, irrespective of the doctrine they preach and the program they project, breed fanaticism, enthusiasm, fervent hope, hatred and intolerance; all of them are capable of releasing a powerful flow of activity in certain departments of life; all of them demand blind faith and singlehearted allegiance.

Quote from: Sir Frederick PhellerWhen I dream of the perfect religion, I dream of that which is the utmost anti-thesis of Christianity.

Quote from: Friedrich NietzscheThe two great European narcotics, alcohol and Christianity.

Quote from: Thomas CarlyleIf Jesus Christ were to come today, people would not even crucify him. They would ask him to dinner and hear what he had to say, and make fun of it.

Quote from: Carl Sagan, in a letter to Ken Schei (author of [i]Christianity Betrayed[/i] and [i]An Atheists for Jesus[/i])My long-time view about Christianity is that it represents an amalgam of two seemingly immiscible parts--the religion of Jesus and the religion of Paul. Thomas Jefferson attempted to excise the Pauline parts of the New Testament. There wasn't much left when he was done, but it was an inspiring document.

Quote from: Sherman MillikenA callous, heartless religion is that which defines it's God as a cold and unmerciful deity, quick to anger and even quicker to condemn it's people to an eternity in fire. I know of only one such God and he is the God of Christianity.

Quote from: Eldridge KaneDefame not the good name of God with your profane Christian rantings!

Quote from: John AdamsThe divinity of Jesus is made a convenient cover for absurdity. Nowhere in the Gospels do we find a precept for Creeds, Confessions, Oaths, Doctrines, and the whole carloads of other foolish trumpery that we find in Christianity.

Quote from: John E. RemsburgThe name of Christ has caused more persecutions, wars, and miseries than any other name has caused.

Quote from: C. SpellmanI agree that God moves in mysterious ways. He's been eluding me from the very start.

Quote from: C. SpellmanThere is a sucker born-again every minute.

Quote from: C. SpellmanWho says lying doesn't get you anywhere? Look at the success of Christianity!

Quote from: C. SpellmanI challenge anyone to present to me a more disingenuous religion than Christianity. Just where in hell do we find a system bent on filching scandulous amounts of money off the weak-minded? Where do we find more wealthy Pastors or Ministers talking out of both sides of their mouths while their pockets swell to obscene proportions? What religion does more to intellectually damage youth while getting rich off their ignorance?

Quote from: C. SpellmanFor every one man saved by the Lord, there are 1000 times that forsaken by him.

Quote from: C. SpellmanIf you were the Son of God, and had unlimited powers like He, would you have allowed yourself to be put in that rather embarrassing situation in front of all those who believed in you...and then killed?

Quote from: Edward AbbeyThe missionaries go forth to Christianize the savages - as if the savages weren't dangerous enough already.

Quote from: August BebelChristianity is the enemy of liberty and civilization.

Quote from: Samuel ButlerPeople in general are equally horrified to see the Christian religion doubted, and at seeing it practiced.

Quote from: Norman RudellWho knows what evil lurks in the hearts of Christian men? These self-proclaimed spokesmen for God who so boldly assert their chosen status as His messenger of salvation are no different than you or I. Rather they are a bit more eccentric, a bit more arrogant, and most certainly a lot more zealous than the average contemporary thinker.

Quote from: Frank SimmonsThe louder these Christians shout up there on the altar of superstition, the more cotton I want to shove in my ears. For Christ's sake put a lid on it will ya?

Quote from: Leo GuntermannHeresy you deem as blasphemy against the holy spirit. Heresy is what I deem as having the balls to stand up to religious hogwash.

Quote from: Turner DukesThe Christian church...no where else shall you find a more potent hive of scum and villainry...

Quote from: Joshua RebenstolOne can easily forget the greatest and most sustained genocide ever to befall the human race when we are so constantly bombarded with images of the Jewish Holocaust. Let us not also forget the oceans of blood spilled in the name of Christ over so many centuries.

Quote from: Arron IsleyI cringe at the thought of a Christian society. I'd much rather live in the dark ages than to dwell in such a setting.

Quote from: Wiley Farmer, Christian pastor, 1952,Of course I am rich and why shouldn't I be? The Lord has given me a job to do and I'll be darned if I am not going to be well compensated for it! I'm saving souls here!

Quote from: Zed LandowFuck Christianty...

Quote from: Augustine of HippoOften a non-Christian knows something about the earth, the heavens, and the other parts of the world, about the motions and orbits of the stars and even their sizes and distances,... and this knowledge he holds with certainty from reason and experience. It is thus offensive and disgraceful for an unbeliever to hear a Christian talk nonsense about such things, claiming that what he is saying is based in Scripture. We should do all that we can to avoid such an embarrassing situation, which people see as ignorance in the Christian and laugh to scorn.

Quote from: Isaac AsimovHumanity has the stars in its future, and that future is too important to be lost under the burden of juvenile folly and ignorant superstition.

Quote from: AnonymousChristianity is not a religion; it's an industry.

Quote from: AnonymousTheology: The study of elaborate verbal disguises for non-ideas.

Quote from: Sherman HarboroughMine is a euphoria that is a long time in the waiting. It is to my delight that I should be able to share with you the incomparable joy of seeing the Church, of which I am now formally a member of, go to ashes. It must have been God himself who is behind this heroic conflagration! Even He has more respect for real religions than do these Christians.

1863 (After watching a Christian church burn to the ground during the Civil War. Harborough was a former Christian Pastor turned Deist)

Quote from: Leonardo ForadelliThe Christian claims the Humanist worships man, yet it is the Christian that worships Jesus Christ - a man as well. If the Humanist worships humanity, at least he does it while it is still alive. Christ died many centuries ago.

Quote from: Bernard IrwingtonOf course I know these are myths, but what else do I have to comfort me at this late hour?

1838-1915 (Spoken to a Pastor, who was reading him the Bible, as he lay on his deathbed. Irwington had been a Pastor himself for many years.)

Quote from: Lloyd StanleyIt isn't God I have a problem with! It's those damn Christian interpretations of him!

1954 (Spoken to a Christian who was heckling him at a freedom of religion conference)

Quote from: Gershwin HagenstoudtI must confess that my disdain for the Christian religion stems not from my upbringing in it, but rather my first real hard look into it from a more enlightened perch.

Quote from: Elias NicholsYou call me a victim of insanity, whilst you claim to be an authority governed by the hand of God. The main difference between you and I is that I don't promote my illness.

1821 (Nichols was imprisoned in a mental institution after he was caught desecrating a Christian monument. Upon his arrest, he claimed he was being harrassed by Christian zealots who tried to convert him on a number of occasions.)

Quote from: Walter Kerney, in [i]The Messianic Travesty[/i],..and if Jesus were alive today he'd be locked up in an insane asylum, along with all his cohorts.

Quote from: Gerhard EichenaurThe greatest of lies is found in the New Testament. Whether they are the product of misinterpretation or outright ignorance is a moot point. It takes but the most elementary of logic to assert that this literary work of rubbish has given us societal grief beyond anything the authors of the Bible could have envisioned.

1872 (Austrian Politician. Eichenaur was outspoken in his disdain for Christianity. Most of his anti-Christian rhetoric is found in his letters to his Hungarian counterparts)

Quote from: Anita HellerbachTake that cross and shove it!

1969 (Women's Activist. Hellerbach yelled these words to a group of Christians who heckled her about abortion during a ralley)

Quote from: Jacob EllekerA hearty fool is he that believeth every word of the bible.
"Some say God is living there [in space]. I was looking around very attentively, but I did not see anyone there. I did not detect either angels or gods....I don't believe in God. I believe in man - his strength, his possibilities, his reason."
Gherman Titov, Soviet cosmonaut, in The Seattle Daily Ti