March 28, 2024, 09:09:15 am

News:

This site is now on a new server!

On Death and Dying

Started by Unbeliever, October 17, 2006, 02:15:06 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Unbeliever

October 17, 2006, 02:15:06 pm Last Edit: August 05, 2019, 01:28:12 pm by Unbeliever
Quote from: James BaldwinPerhaps the whole root of our trouble, the human trouble, is that we will sacrifice all the beauty of our lives, will imprison ourselves in totems, taboos, crosses, blood sacrifices, steeples, mosques, races, armies, flags, nations, in order to deny the fact of death, which is the only fact we have.

Quote from: Clifford Simak, in his 1952 novel "City"Why should I look beyond the years of my own life? When I die, I die, and all the shouting and glory, all the banners and the bugles will be nothing for me. I will not know whether I lived a great life or a very poor one.

Quote from: Clifford Simak, in his 1952 novel "City"When a man dies the race ends for him - so far as he's concerned there is no longer any race.

Quote from: EpicurusWhy should I fear death? If I am, death is not. If death is, I am not. Why should I fear that which can only exist when I do not exist?
Quote from: Epicurus"1. Death is annihilation.
2. The living have not yet been annihilated (otherwise they wouldn't be alive).
3. Death does not affect the living. (from 1 and 2)
4. So, death is not bad for the living. (from 3)
5. For something to be bad for somebody, that person has to exist, at least.
6. The dead do not exist. (from 1)
7. Therefore, death is not bad for the dead. (from 5 and 6)
6. Therefore death is bad for neither the living nor the dead. (from 4 and 7)

Quote from: Arthur SchopenhauerAfter your death you will be what you were before your birth.

Quote from: Mark TwainI was dead for millions of years before I was born and it never inconvenienced me a bit.

Quote from: Carl SaganI would like to believe that when I die I will live again, that some thinking, feeling, remembering part of me will continue. But much as I want to believe that, and despite the ancient worldwide cultural traditions that assert an afterlife, I know of nothing to suggest that it is more than wishful thinking. The world is so exquisite with so much love and moral depth, that there is no reason to deceive ourselves with pretty stories for which there's little good evidence. Far better it seems to me, in our vulnerability, is to look death in the eye and to be grateful every day for the brief but magnificent opportunity that life provides.

Quote from: Isaac AsimovAlthough the time of death is approaching me, I am not afraid of dying and going to Hell or (what would be considerably worse) going to the popularized version of Heaven. I expect death to be nothingness and, for removing me from all possible fears of death, I am thankful to atheism.

Quote from: Isaac AsimovIf my doctor told me I have only six minutes to live, I wouldn't brood. I'd type a little faster.

Quote from: Robert G. IngersollOne cannot imagine what the human heart has suffered by reason of the frightful doctrine of eternal damnation. It is a doctrine so abhorrent to every drop of my blood, so infinitely cruel, that it is impossible for me to respect either the head or heart of any human being who teaches or fears it. This doctrine necessarily subverts all ideas of justice. To inflict infinite punishment for finite crimes, or rather for crimes committed by finite beings, is a proposition so monstrous that I am astonished it ever found lodgment in the brain of man. Whoever says that we can be happy in heaven while those we loved on earth are suffering infinite torments in eternal fire, defames and calumniates the human heart.
"Some say God is living there [in space]. I was looking around very attentively, but I did not see anyone there. I did not detect either angels or gods....I don't believe in God. I believe in man - his strength, his possibilities, his reason."
Gherman Titov, Soviet cosmonaut, in The Seattle Daily Ti