March 28, 2024, 01:41:29 pm

News:

This site is now on a new server!

The Nature of Science

Started by Unbeliever, October 18, 2006, 04:16:15 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Unbeliever

October 18, 2006, 04:16:15 pm Last Edit: October 19, 2006, 02:34:35 pm by Unbeliever
Quote from: Bertolt Brecht, [i]The Life of Galileo[/i] (this is known as 'Galileo's Dictum') Science knows only one commandment: contribute to science.

Quote from: Jacob Bronowski, "The Creative Mind", [i]Science and Human Values[/i] (1956)Man masters nature not by force but by understanding. That is why science has succeeded where magic failed: because it has looked for no spell to cast on nature.

Quote from: Albert Einstein, [i]Out of My Later Years[/i] (1950)Science can only state what is, not what should be.

Quote from: Richard P. FeynmanScience is a long history of learning how not to fool ourselves.

Quote from: Stephen J. Gould, in a lecture on evolution, at Cambridge University, 1984Science is all those things which are confirmed to such an extent that it would be unreasonable for us to withhold one's provisional consent.

Quote from: Edwin Powell Hubble, [i]The Nature of Science[/i] (1954)Equipped with his five senses, man explores the universe around him and calls the adventure Science.

Quote from: Max Planck, [i]Scientific Autobiography and Other Papers[/i] (1949)An experiment is a question which science poses to Nature, and a measurement is the recording of Nature's answer.

Quote from: Henri Poincare, [i]Science and Hypothesis[/i] (1905)"Science is built up of facts, as a house is built up of stones; but an accumulation of facts is no more a science that a heap of stones is a house.

Quote from: Adam Smith, [i]The Wealth of Nations[/i] (1776)Science is the great antidote to the poison of enthusiasm and superstition.

Quote from: Miguel de Unamumo, [i]The Tragic Sense of Life[/i] (1913)True science teaches above all to doubt and be ignorant.

Quote from: Conrad Hal Waddington, [i]The Scientific Attitude[/i] (1941)Science is the organized attempt of mankind to discover how things work as causal systems. The scientific attitude of mind is an interest in such questions. It can be contrasted with other attitudes, which have different interests; for instance the magical, which attempts to make things work not as material systems but as immaterial forces which can be controlled by spells; or the religious, which is interested in the world as revealing the nature of God.

Quote from: Norbert Wiener, [i]The Human Use of Human Beings[/i] (1950)Scientific discovery consists in the interpretation for our own convenience of a system of existence which has been made with no eye to our convenience at all.
"Some say God is living there [in space]. I was looking around very attentively, but I did not see anyone there. I did not detect either angels or gods....I don't believe in God. I believe in man - his strength, his possibilities, his reason."
Gherman Titov, Soviet cosmonaut, in The Seattle Daily Ti