March 28, 2024, 02:09:23 pm

News:

This site is now on a new server!

Creationism/ID vs Science links

Started by Unbeliever, June 30, 2007, 12:54:38 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Unbeliever

June 30, 2007, 12:54:38 pm Last Edit: May 02, 2012, 02:54:21 pm by Unbeliever
I think eventually ID proponents will run out of gaps for their God to fill, leaving them entirely without even the (holy) ghost of rational support. The trouble is, though, that unless we begin to properly educate our youngsters, people will continue, en mass, to believe absurdities. Holding an absurd worldview is not conducive to survival, especially on a larger scale than the individual. If we don't start teaching people how to think, and motivating them to use those critical thinking skills, we're doomed.

Many have noted that our technology has outstripped our wisdom. But how could this be, given that religion, the alleged source of all our wisdom, has been around as long as we've been human? Tens of millenia have gone into trying desperately to figure out how to appease the gods, and where has it gotten us? Using our technology to kill each other in ways never dreamed of, merely an extension of the first ape picking up a big stick and bashing a fellow ape to death. And yet serious technology has only been around for a couple of centuries! Modern science is only about 300 years old!

It's time we use the true wisdom we've gained from the labor of people willing to see the universe as it is, it's time we gained some maturity as a planet and as a specie, because the fate of the Earth is in our hands, not the hands of some absurd supernatural entity.

We humans pride ourselves on our wisdom, hence the "sapiens sapiens" in our specie's classification. But the truth is that we're not really very wise at all, and we do too many dangerous things without thinking ahead to see if we can minimize the danger. We think we've thought of everything, but the truth is that we've only begun to scratch the surface of what there is to know. And so nature continues to surprise us with its "murphiness", its tendency to obey Murphy's Law.
THE RECENT EVOLUTION OF NEW SPECIES And Other Arguments Against a Young Earth

How My Six Year Old Boy Debunked Intelligent Design

E. coli Long-term Experimental Evolution Project Site

Evolution, Creation and Lies

Evolution: Past, Present and Future

Understanding Evolution

Irreducibly Complex Eye? Not!

Stupid Design Neil deGrasse Tyson

15 Answers to Creationist Nonsense

The Creationist Troll's Toolkit

Intelligent Design: an Unintelligent Idea

Creationism vs Science

Index of Creationist Claims

EvoWiki

No Bull

No Answers in Genesis

Talk Origins Archive

The Panda's Thumb

Things Creationists Hate (Also this one's good)

Scientific Naturalism
and Intelligent Design

How Can Evolution Cause Irreducibly Complex Systems?

Dinosaur Saddle Discovered!

Whales as evidence of intelligent design?

Fossil Science

Fossils: Facts and Finds

Understanding Evolution
"Some say God is living there [in space]. I was looking around very attentively, but I did not see anyone there. I did not detect either angels or gods....I don't believe in God. I believe in man - his strength, his possibilities, his reason."
Gherman Titov, Soviet cosmonaut, in The Seattle Daily Ti