March 28, 2024, 09:32:42 am

News:

This site is now on a new server!

Good, Evil, Life, Death

Started by Unbeliever, October 19, 2006, 01:41:36 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Unbeliever

October 19, 2006, 01:41:36 pm Last Edit: August 24, 2007, 01:18:05 pm by Unbeliever
Quote from: Judith Hayes, Where Were You Before You Were You?Why is it that almost every human culture yet discovered has found it necessary to believe in an afterlife of some sort, but not a 'before-life?' Why are there so many versions of Heaven, Paradise and The Great Beyond, but almost none about The Great Before?

Quote from: Isaac Asimov, "How Easy to See the Future", [i]Natural History[/i], April 1975Life is pleasant. Death is peaceful. It's the transition that's troublesome.

Quote from: General Omar Bradley, in a speech in Boston, Massachusetts, November 10, 1948The world has achieved brilliance without wisdom, power without concience. Ours is a world of nuclear giants and ethical infants.

Quote from: Noam Chomsky, in a television interview, April 6, 1978As soon as questions of will or decision or reason or choice of action arise, human science is at a loss.

Quote from: John Foster Dulles, [i]War or Peace[/i] (1950)Natural science has outstripped moral and political science. That is too bad; but it is a fact, and the fact does not disappear because we close our eyes to it.

Quote from: Albert Einstein, in a letter to a minister in Brooklyn, N.Y., November 20, 1950The most important human endeavor is the striving for morality in our actions. Our inner balance and even our very existence depend on it. Only morality in our actions can give beauty and dignity to life.

Quote from: Martin Luther King, Jr., [i]Strength to Love[/i] (1963)The means by which we live has outstripped the ends for which we live. Our scientific power has outrun our spiritual power. We have guided missiles and misguided men.

Quote from: Max Lerner, "Manipulating Life", [i]New York Post[/i], January 24, 1968Science itself is a humanist in the sense that it doesn't discriminate between human beings, but it is also morally neutral. It is no better or worse than the ethos for which it is used.

Quote from: Bernard More Oliver, "Toward a New Morality", [i]IEEE Spectrum, 1972It is time that science, having destroyed the religious basis for morality, accepted the obligation to provide a new and rational basis for human behavior - a code of ethics concerned with man's needs on earth, not his rewards in heaven.

Quote from: Glenn T. Seaborg, in an Associated Press interview, September 29, 1964People must understand that science is inherently neither a potential for good nor for evil. It is a potential to be harnessed by man to do his bidding.

Quote from: Adlai Stevenson, in a speech in Hartford Connecticut, September 18, 1952Nature is neutral. Man has wrested from nature the power to make the world a desert or to make the deserts bloom. There is no evil in the atom; only in men's souls.

Quote from: Leo Tolstoy, What is Art? (1898)[Science]...gives us no answer to our question, what shall we do and how shall we live?

Quote from: Claude de ChauvignyAll I ask of Thee, Lord; is to be a drinker and a fornicator; an unbeliever and a sodomite; and then to die.

Quote from: Ingibjörg Unnur SigmundsdóttirUnbeliever

People say god is almighty
and god is great
but I know he's just a fake.
Don't live in a lie
because you are afraid to die
but pull your self togeteher
and when it's your time
you will say goodbye, forever

"Some say God is living there [in space]. I was looking around very attentively, but I did not see anyone there. I did not detect either angels or gods....I don't believe in God. I believe in man - his strength, his possibilities, his reason."
Gherman Titov, Soviet cosmonaut, in The Seattle Daily Ti