March 28, 2024, 10:45:08 am

News:

This site is now on a new server!

Pious Lies

Started by Unbeliever, October 19, 2006, 02:07:58 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Unbeliever

October 19, 2006, 02:07:58 pm Last Edit: February 21, 2017, 02:44:49 pm by Unbeliever
Quote from: Eusebius of NicomediaIt will sometimes be necessary to use falsehood for the benefit of those who need such a mode of treatment.

Quote from: Catholic Encyclical X, 195We [Catholics] are also under an obligation to keep secrets faithfully. And sometimes the easiest way to fulfill that duty is to say what is false, or to tell a lie.

Quote from: Edwin F. Healy, S. J., "Moral Guidance", 1960At times one is obliged in concience to veil the truth, for there are secrets to be guarded and detractions to be avoided. Sometimes silence will not suffice to maintain the secret which one is trying to guard. In fact, it may happen that silence would betray the secret. Hence there must be some licit means of concealing the truth when necessary. This licit means is the broad mental reservation....One way of putting the question is to ask if a false statement is always a lie. Some theologians answer in the negative....Sometimes it is necessary to make a false statement in order to protect secret knowledge. Silence or the use of mental reservation is not sufficient; the only way to protect the secret is to make a statement contrary to what....you know to be true.

Quote from: Beausobre (theologian)Christians not only do not say what they think, but they do say the direct contrary of what they think. Philosophers in their cabinets; out of them they are content with fables, though they well know they are fables. Nay, more: they deliver honest men to the executioner, for having uttered what they themselves know to be true. How many atheists and pagans have burned holy men under the pretext of heresy? Every day do hypocrites consecrate, and make people adore the host, though as well convinced as I am, that it is nothing but a bit of bread.

Quote from: Augustine, "On Lying", c. 19It is lawful then, to him that discusses, disputes and preaches of things eternal, or to him that narrates of things temporal pertaining to religion or piety, to conceal at fitting times whatever seems fit to be concealed.

Quote from: Gregory of Nanzianus (in a letter to St. Jerome)A little jargon is all that is necessary to impose upon the people. The less they comprehend, the more they admire. Our forefathers and doctors have often said, not what they thought, but what circumstances and necessity dictated.

Quote from: Hermas, [i]Visions of Hermas[/i], vol. 2, ch. 3Oh Lord, I never spoke a true word in my life, I have always affirmed a lie as truth to all men, and no man contradicted me; instead, they all gave credit to my works.

Quote from: Martin LutherWhat would it matter if, for the sake of the Christian Church, one were to tell a big lie?

Quote from: Martin LutherWhat harm would it do, if a man told a good strong lie for the sake of the good and for the Christian church...a lie out of necessity, a useful lie, a helpful lie, such lies would not be against God, he would accept them."

Quote from: Richard Sisson, pages 55 and 56 in the second volume of "Answering Christianity's Most Puzzling Questions"People do strange things when they are cornered by facts. When evidence cannot be denied, men who care nothing for the truth simply become illogical. Minds become willfully ignorant and emotions turn hostile.

Christian Lies Exposed

THE NINE LIES OF TODAY'S CHURCH
"Some say God is living there [in space]. I was looking around very attentively, but I did not see anyone there. I did not detect either angels or gods....I don't believe in God. I believe in man - his strength, his possibilities, his reason."
Gherman Titov, Soviet cosmonaut, in The Seattle Daily Ti