March 28, 2024, 09:44:00 am

News:

This site is now on a new server!

Biblical Contradictions - by category

Started by Unbeliever, August 31, 2006, 12:00:34 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Unbeliever

September 06, 2006, 02:09:45 pm #15 Last Edit: May 22, 2012, 01:40:00 pm by Unbeliever
346. Did Herod say that Jesus was John the Baptist risen from the dead?
Yes

Mt 14:1-2
QuoteAt that time Herod the tetrarch heard of the fame of Jesus,
And said unto his servants, This is John the Baptist; he is risen from the dead; and therefore mighty works do shew forth themselves in him.
Mk 6:14
QuoteAnd king Herod heard of him; (for his name was spread abroad:) and he said, That John the Baptist was risen from the dead, and therefore mighty works do shew forth themselves in him.
QuoteBut when Herod heard thereof, he said, It is John, whom I have beheaded: he is risen from the dead.

No
Lk 9:7-9
QuoteNow Herod the tetrarch heard of all that was done by him: and he was perplexed, because that it was said of some, that John was risen from the dead;
And of some, that Elias had appeared; and of others, that one of the old prophets was risen again.
And Herod said, John have I beheaded: but who is this, of whom I hear such things? And he desired to see him.

347. Did Herod want to kill John the Baptist?
Yes

Mt 14:5
QuoteAnd when he would have put him to death, he feared the multitude, because they counted him as a prophet.

No
Mk 6:20
QuoteFor Herod feared John, knowing that he was a just man and an holy, and observed him; and when he heard him, he did many things, and heard him gladly.

348. Was the woman with a possessed daughter a Canaanite?
Yes

Mt 15:22
QuoteAnd, behold, a woman of Canaan came out of the same coasts, and cried unto him, saying, Have mercy on me, O Lord, thou son of David; my daughter is grievously vexed with a devil.

No
Mk 7:25-26
QuoteFor a certain woman, whose young daughter had an unclean spirit, heard of him, and came and fell at his feet:
The woman was a Greek, a Syrophenician by nation; and she besought him that he would cast forth the devil out of her daughter.

349. Did the disciples go to Gennesaret after the miracle of loaves and fishes?
Yes

Mk 6:53
QuoteAnd when they had passed over, they came into the land of Gennesaret, and drew to the shore.

No
Jn 6:17
QuoteAnd entered into a ship, and went over the sea toward Capernaum. And it was now dark, and Jesus was not come to them.

350. Were all 12 apostles to sit on thrones?
Yes

Mt 19:28
QuoteAnd Jesus said unto them, Verily I say unto you, That ye which have followed me, in the regeneration when the Son of man shall sit in the throne of his glory, ye shall also sit upon twelve thrones, judging the twelve tribes of Israel.
[note: this apparently was meant to include Judas Iscariot, even though he's the one of the twelve who betrayed Jesus.]
No
Mk 14:17-21
QuoteAnd in the evening he cometh with the twelve.
And as they sat and did eat, Jesus said, Verily I say unto you, One of you which eateth with me shall betray me.
And they began to be sorrowful, and to say unto him one by one, Is it I? and another said, Is it I?
And he answered and said unto them, It is one of the twelve, that dippeth with me in the dish.
The Son of man indeed goeth, as it is written of him: but woe to that man by whom the Son of man is betrayed! good were it for that man if he had never been born.

[note: so, can we conclude from this that Judas won't sit on one of the twelve thrones?]

351. Did the mother of James and John ask a favor of Jesus?
Yes

Mt 20:20-21
QuoteThen came to him the mother of Zebedee's children with her sons, worshipping him, and desiring a certain thing of him.
And he said unto her, What wilt thou? She saith unto him, Grant that these my two sons may sit, the one on thy right hand, and the other on the left, in thy kingdom.

No
Mk 10:35-37
QuoteAnd James and John, the sons of Zebedee, come unto him, saying, Master, we would that thou shouldest do for us whatsoever we shall desire.
And he said unto them, What would ye that I should do for you?
They said unto him, Grant unto us that we may sit, one on thy right hand, and the other on thy left hand, in thy glory.

352. Did Jesus ever get violent?
Yes

Mt 21:12
QuoteAnd Jesus went into the temple of God, and cast out all them that sold and bought in the temple, and overthrew the tables of the moneychangers, and the seats of them that sold doves,
Mk 11:15
QuoteAnd they come to Jerusalem: and Jesus went into the temple, and began to cast out them that sold and bought in the temple, and overthrew the tables of the moneychangers, and the seats of them that sold doves;
Jn 2:15
QuoteAnd when he had made a scourge of small cords, he drove them all out of the temple, and the sheep, and the oxen; and poured out the changers' money, and overthrew the tables;

No
Isa 53:9
QuoteAnd he made his grave with the wicked, and with the rich in his death; because he had done no violence, neither was any deceit in his mouth.
[note: in my King James Bible, this verse has a star at the end, which signifies that it is referring to Jesus.]

353. Did Jesus cleanse the Temple on the same day that he entered Jerusalem?
Yes

Mt 21:10-12
QuoteAnd when he was come into Jerusalem, all the city was moved, saying, Who is this?
And the multitude said, This is Jesus the prophet of Nazareth of Galilee.
And Jesus went into the temple of God, And cast out all them that sold and bought in the temple, and overthrew the tables of the moneychangers, and the seats of them that sold doves,

No
Mk 11:11
QuoteAnd Jesus entered into Jerusalem, and into the temple: and when he had looked round about upon all things and now the eventide was come, he went out unto Bethany with the twelve.

354. Did Jesus cleanse the Temple before he cursed the fig tree?
Yes

Mt 21:12
QuoteAnd Jesus went into the temple of God, and cast out all them that sold and bought in the temple, and overthrew the tables of the moneychangers, and the seats of them that sold doves,
QuoteAnd when he saw a fig tree in the way, he came to it, and found nothing thereon, but leaves only, and he said unto it, Let no fruit grow on thee henceforth forever. And presently the fig tree withered away.

No
Mk 11:12-15
QuoteAnd on the morrow, when they were come from Bethany, he was hungry:
And seeing a fig tree afar off having leaves, he came, if haply he might find anything thereon: he found nothing but leaves; for the time of figs was not yet.
And Jesus answered ans said unto it, No man eat fruit of thee hereafter forever. And his disciples heard it.
And they come to Jerusalem: and Jesus went into the temple, and began to cast out them that sold and bought in the temple, and over threw the tables of the moneychangers, and the seats of them that sold doves;

355. Did the fig tree die immediately when Jesus cursed it?
Yes

Mt 21:19-20
QuoteAnd when he saw a fig tree in the way, he came to it, and found nothing thereon, but leaves only, and said unto it, Let no fruit grow on thee henceforward forever. And presently the fig tree withered away.
And when the disciples saw it, they marvelled, saying, How soon is the fig tree withered away!

No
Mk 11:12-14
QuoteAnd on the morrow, when they were come from Bethany, he was hungry:
And seeing a fig tree afar having leaves, he came, if haply he might find anything thereon: and when he came to it, he found nothing but leaves; for the time of figs was not yet.
And Jesus answered and said unto it, No man eat fruit of thee hereafter forever. And his disciples heard it.
20-21
QuoteAnd in the morning, as they passed by, they saw the fig tree dried up from the roots.
And Peter calling to remembrance saith unto him, Master, behold, the fig tree which thou cursedst is withered away.

356. Did Jesus cleanse the Temple at the end of his ministry?
Yes

Mt 21:10-12
QuoteAnd when he was come into Jerusalem, all the city was moved, saying, Who is this?
And the multitude said, This is Jesus the prophet of Nazareth of Galilee.
And Jesus went into the temple of God, and cast out all them which sold and bought in the temple, and overthrew the tables of the moneychangers, and the seats of them that sold doves.

No
Jn 2:11-15
QuoteThis beginning of miracles did Jesus in Cana of Galilee, and manifested forth his glory; and his disciples believed on him.
After this he went down to Capernaum, he, and his mother, and his brethren, and his disciples: and they continued there not many days.
And the Jews' passover was at hand, and Jesus went up to Jerusalem.
And found in the temple those that sold oxen and sheep and doves, and the changers of money sitting:
And when he had made a scourge of small cords, he drove them all out of the temple, and the sheep, and the oxen; and poured out the changers' money, and overthrew the tables;

357. Did Jesus do too much to write in books?
Yes

Jn 21:25
QuoteAnd there are also many other things which Jesus did, the which, if they should be written every one, I suppose that even the world itself could not contain the books that should be written.

No
Acts 1:1
QuoteThe former treatise have I made, O Theophilus, of all that Jesus began both to do and teach.

358. Did Jesus tell his disciples everything about his Father?
Yes

Jn 15:15
QuoteHenceforth I call you not servants; for the servant knoweth not what his lord doeth: but I have called you friends; for all things I have heard of my Father I have made known unto you.

No
Jn 16:12
QuoteI have yet many things to say unto you, but ye cannot bear them now.

359. Was Jesus going to be with his disciples always?
Yes

Mt 28:20
QuoteTeaching them to observe all things whatsoever I have commanded you: and lo, I am with you alway, even unto the end of the world.

No
Mk 14:7
QuoteFor ye have the poor with you always, and whensoever ye will you may do them good: but me ye have not always.
Jn 12:8
QuoteFor the poor always ye have with you; but me ye have not always.

360. Did anyone ask Jesus where he was going?
Yes

Jn 13:36
QuoteSimon Peter said unto him, Lord, whither goest thou? Jesus answered him, Whither I go, thou canst not follow me now; but thou shalt follow me afterwards.
14:5
QuoteThomas said unto him, Lord, we know not whither thou goest; and how can we know the way?

No
Jn 16:5
QuoteBut now I go my way to him that sent me; and none of you asketh me, Whither goest thou?

361. Did Jesus ride two animals into Jerusalem?
Yes

Mt 21:7
QuoteAnd brought the ass, and the colt, and put on them their clothes, and they set him thereon.

No
Mk 11:7
QuoteAnd they brought the colt to Jesus, and cast their garments on him; and he sat upon him.

362. Did Jesus predict Peter's denial before they went out to the Mt. of Olives?
Yes

Lk 22:33-34
QuoteAnd he said unto him, Lord, I am ready to go with thee, both into prison, and to death.
And he said, I tell the, Peter, the cock shall not crow this day, before thou shalt thrice deny that thou knowest me.
QuoteAnd he came out, as he was wont, to the mount of Olives; and his disciples also followed him.

No
Mt 26:30
QuoteAnd when they had sung the hymn, they went out into the mount of Olives.
33-34
QuotePeter answered and said unto him, Though all men shall be offended because of thee, yet I will never be offended.
Jesus said unto him, Verily I say unto thee, That this night, before the cock crow, thou shalt deny me thrice.
Mk 14:26
QuoteAnd when they had sung an hymn, they went out into the mount of Olives.
29-30
QuoteBut Peter said unto him, Although all shall be offended, yet will not I.
And Jesus saith unto him, Verily I say unto thee, That this day, even in this night, before the cock crow twice, thou shall deny me thrice.

363. Did the cock crow after Peter's denial?
Yes

Mt 26:34
QuoteJesus said unto him, Verily I say unto thee, That this night, before the cock crow, thou shalt deny me thrice.
74-75
QuoteThen began he to curse and to swear, saying, I know not the man. and immediately the cock crew.
And Peter remembered the word of Jesus, which said unto him, Before the cock crow, thou shalt deny me thrice. And he went out, and wept bitterly.
Lk 22:34
QuoteAnd he said, I tell thee, Peter, the cock shall not crow this day, before that thou shalt thrice deny that thou knowest me.
60-61
QuoteAnd Peter said, Man, I know not what thou sayest. And immediately, whille he yet spake, the cock crew.
And the Lord turned, and looked upon Peter. And Peter remembered the word of the Lord, how he had said unto him, Before the cock crow, thou shalt deny me thrice.
Jn 13:38
QuoteJesus answered him, Wilt thou lay down thy life for my sake? Verily, verily, I say unto thee, The cock shall not crow, till thou hast denied me thrice.
18:27
QuotePeter then denied again, and immediately, the cock crew.

No
Mk 14:30
QuoteAnd Jesus saith unto him, Verily I say unto thee, That this day, even in this night, before the cock crow twice, thou shalt deny me thrice.
66-72
QuoteAnd as Peter was beneath the palace, there cometh one of the maids of the high priest:
And when she saw Peter warming himself, she looked upon him, and said, And thou also wast with Jesus of Nazareth.
But he denied, saying, I know not, neither understand I what thou sayest. And he went out into the porch; and the cock crew.
And a maid saw him again, and began to say to them that stood by, This is one of them.
And he denied it again. And a little after, they that stood by said again to Peter, Surely thou art one of them: for thou art a Galillean, and thy speech agreeth thereto.
But he began to curse and to swear, saying, I know not this man of whom you speak.
And the second time the cock crew. And Peter called to mind the word that Jesus said unto him, Before the cock crow twice, thou shalt deny me thrice. And when he thought thereon, he wept.

364. Did the cock crow only once?
Yes

Mt 26:34
QuoteJesus said unto him, Verily I say unto thee, That this night, before the cock crow, thou shalt deny me thrice.
74-75
QuoteThen began he to curse and to swear, saying, I know not the man. And immediately the cock crew.
And Peter remembered the word of Jesus, which said unto him, Before the cock crow, thou shalt deny me thrice. And he went out, and wept bitterly.
Lk 22:34
QuoteAnd he said, I tell thee, Peter, the cock shall not crow this day, before that thou shalt thrice deny that thou knowest me.
60-61
QuoteAnd Peter said, Man, I know not what thou sayest. And immediately, while he yet spake, the cock crew.
And the Lord turned and looked upon Peter. And Peter remembered the word of the Lord, how he had said unto him, Before the cock crow, thou shalt deny me thrice.
Jn 13:38
QuoteJesus answered him, Wilt thou lay down thy life for my sake? Verily, verily, I say unto thee, The cock shall not crow till thou hast denied me thrice.
18:27
QuotePeter then denied again: and immediately the cock crew.

No
Mk 14:30
QuoteAnd Jesus saith unto him, Verily I say unto thee, That this day, even in this night, before the cock crow twice, thou shalt deny me thrice.
66-72
QuoteAnd as Peter was beneath the palace, there cometh one of the maids of the high priest:
And when she saw Peter warming himself, she looked upon him, and said, And thou also wast with Jesus of Nazareth.
But he denied, saying, I know not, neither understand I what thou sayest. And he went out into the porch, and the cock crew.
And a maid saw him again, and began to say to them that stood by, This is one of them.
And he denied it again. And a little after, they that stood by said again to Peter, Surely thou art one of them: for thou art a Galilean, and thy speech agreeth thereto.
But he began to curse and to swear, saying, I know not this man of whom ye speak.
And the second time the cock crew. And Peter called to mind the word that Jesus said to him, Before the cock crow twice, thou shalt deny me thrice. And when he thought thereon, he wept.

365. Did Satan enter Judas before the last supper?
Yes

Lk 22:3
QuoteThen entered Satan into Judas surnamed Iscariot, being of the number of the twelve.
QuoteThen came the day of unleavened bread, when the passover must be killed.

No
Jn 13:27
QuoteAnd after the sop Satan entered into him. Then said Jesus unto him, That thou doest, do quickly.

366. Did Judas die by hanging himself?
Yes

Mt 27:5
QuoteAnd he cast down the pieces of silver in the temple, and departed, and went and hanged himself.

No
Acts 1:18
QuoteNow this man purchased a field with the reward of iniquity; and falling headlong, he burst asunder in the midst, and all his bowels gushed out.

367. Did Judas buy the potter's field?
Yes

Acts 1:18
QuoteNow this man purchased a field with the reward of iniquity; and falling headlong, he burst asunder in the midst, and all his bowels gushed out.

No
Mt 27:5-7
QuoteAnd he cast down the pieces of silver in the temple, and departed, and went and hanged himself.
And the chief priests took the silver pieces, and said, It is not lawful for to put them into the treasury, because it is the price of blood.
And they took counsel, and bought with them the potter's field, to bury strangers in.

368. Was it called "The Field of Blood" because it was bought with blood money?
Yes

Mt 27:6-8
QuoteAnd the chief priests took the silver pieces, and said, it is not lawful for to put them into the treasury, because it is the price of blood.
And they took counsel, and bought with them the potter's field, to bury strangers in.
Wherefore that field was called, The field of blood, unto this day.

No
Acts 1:19
QuoteAnd it was known unto all the dwellers at Jerusalem; insomuch as that field is called in their proper tongue, Aceldama, that is to say, The field of blood.

369. Was Jesus identified by a kiss?
Yes

Mt 26:48-49
QuoteNow he that betrayed him gave them a sign, saying, Whomsoever I shall kiss, that same is he: hold him fast.
And forthwith he came to Jesus, and said, Hail master; and kissed him.

No
Jn 18:2-8
QuoteAnd Judas also, which betrayed him, knew the place: for Jesus ofttimes resorted thither with his disciples.
Judas then, having recieved a band of men and officers from the chief priests and Pharisees, cometh thither with lanterns and torches and weapons.
Jesus therefore, knowing all things that should come upon him, went forth, and said unto them, Whom seek ye?
They answered him, Jesus of Nazareth. Jesus saith unto them, I am he. And Judas also, which betrayed him, stood with them.
As soon then as he had said unto them, I am he, they went backward, and fell to the ground.
Then asked he them again, Whom seek ye?And they said, Jesus of Nazareth.
Jesus answered, I have told you that I am he: if therefore ye seek me, let these others go their way:

370. Was the captive Jesus taken to Caiaphas first?
Yes

Matthew 26:57
QuoteAnd they that laid hold on Jesus led him away to Caiaphas the high priest, where the scribes and the elders were assembled.
Mark 14:53
QuoteAnd they led Jesus away to the high priest: and with him were assembled all the chief priests and the elders and the scribes.
Luke22:54
QuoteThen took they him, and led him, and brought him into the high priest's house. And Peter followed afar off.

No
John 18:13
QuoteAnd led him away to Annas first; for he was father in law to Caiaphas, which was the high priest that same year.

"Some say God is living there [in space]. I was looking around very attentively, but I did not see anyone there. I did not detect either angels or gods....I don't believe in God. I believe in man - his strength, his possibilities, his reason."
Gherman Titov, Soviet cosmonaut, in The Seattle Daily Ti

Unbeliever

371. During his trial, did Jesus admit to being the Christ?
Yes

Mk 14:61-62
QuoteBut he held his peace, and answered nothing. Again the high priest asked him, Art thou the Christ, the Son of the Blessed?
And Jesus said, I am: and ye shall see the Son of man sitting on the right hand of power, and coming in the clouds of heaven.

No
Mt 26:63-64
QuoteBut Jesus held his peace. And the high priest answered and said unto him, I adjure thee by the living God, that thou tell us whether thou be the Christ, the Son of God.
Jesus saith unto him, Thou hast said: nevertheless I say unto you, Hereafter shall ye see the Son of man sitting on the right hand of power, and coming in the clouds of heaven.
Lk 22:70
QuoteThen said they all, Art thou the Son of God? And he said unto them, Ye say that I am.

372. Was Jesus silent during his trial before Pilate?
Yes

Isa 53:7
QuoteHe was oppressed, and he was afflicted, yet he opened not his mouth: he is brought as a lamb to the slaughter, and as a sheep before her shearers is dumb, so he openeth not his mouth.
[note: this verse, in my KJV, has a star after it, indicating it to be about Jesus] Mt 27:12-14
QuoteAnd when he was accused of the chief priests and elders, he answered nothing.
Then said Pilate unto him, Hearest thou not how many things they witness against thee?
And he answered hin to never a word; insomuch that the governor marvelled greatly.

No
Jn 18:33-38
QuoteThen Pilate entered into the judgement hall again, and called Jesus, and said unto him, Art thou the King of the Jews?
Jesus answered him, Sayest thou this thing of thyself, or did others tell it of me?
Pilate answered, Am I a Jew? Thine own nation and the chief priests have delivered thee unto me: what hast thou done?
Jesus answered, My kingdom is not of this world: if my kingdom were of this world, then would my servants fight, that I should not be delivered to the Jews: but now is my kingdom not from hence.
Pilate therefore said unto him, Art thou a king then? Jesus answered, Thou sayest that I am a king. To this end was I born, and for this cause came I into the world, that I should bear witness unto the truth. Every one that is of the truth heareth my voice.
Pilate sayeth unto him, What is truth? And when he had said this, he went out again unto the Jews, and saith unto them, I find in him no fault at all.

373. Did Jesus say "Destroy this Temple and within three days I will raise it up"?
Yes

Jn 2:19-21
QuoteJesus answered and said unto them, Destroy this temple, and in three days I will raise it up.
Then said the Jews, Forty and six years was this temple in building, and wilt thou rear it up in three days?
But he spake of the temple of his body.

No
Mk 14:57-58
QuoteAnd there arose certain, and bare false witness against him, saying,
We heard him say, I will destroy this temple that was made with hands, and in three days I will build another made without hands.
[note: if these were false witnesses, that would indicate that Jesus did not say it]

374. Did Jesus lie?
Yes

Jn 7:8-10
QuoteGo ye up unto this feast: I go not up yet unto this feast; for my time is not yet full come.
When he had said these words unto them, he abode still in Galilee.
But when his brethren were gone up, he went also up unto the feast, not openly, but as it were in secret.
18:20 with Mt 13:10-11 and Mk 4:11-12
QuoteJesus answered him, I spake openly to the world; I ever taught in the synagogue, and in the temple, whither the Jews always resort; and in secret have I said nothing.
Mt 13:10-11
QuoteAnd the disciples came, and said unto him, Why speakest thou unto them in parables?
He answered and said unto them, Because it is given unto you to know the mysteries of the kingdom of heaven, but to them it is not given.
Mk 4:11-12
QuoteAnd he said unto them, Unto you it is given to know the mysteries of the kingdom of God: but unto them that are without, all these things are done in parables:
That seeing they may see, and not perceive;and hearing they may hear, and not understand; lest at any time they should be converted, and their sins should be forgiven them.

No
Isa 53:9
QuoteAnd he made his grave with the wicked, and with the rich in his death; because he had done no violence, neither was any deceit in his mouth.
1 Pet 2:22
QuoteWho did no sin, neither was any guile found in his mouth.

380. Did the centurion call Jesus the Son of God?
Yes

Mt 27:54
QuoteNow when the centurion, and they that were with him, watching Jesus, saw the earthquake, and those things that were done, they feared greatly, saying, truly this was the Son of God.
Mk 15:39
QuoteAnd when the centurion, which stood over against him, saw that he cried out, and gave up the ghost, he said, Truly this man was the Son of God.

No
Lk 23:47
QuoteNow when the centurion saw what was done, he glorified God, saying, Certainly this was a righteous man.

381. Were the women watching the crucifixion standing far off?
Yes

Mt 27:55
QuoteAnd many women were there beholding afar off, which followed Jesus from Galilee, ministering unto him:
Mk 15:40
QuoteThere were also women looking on afar off: among whom was Mary Magdalene, and Mary the mother of James the less and of Joses, and Salome.
Lk 23:49
QuoteAnd all his acquaintance, and the women that followed him from Galilee, stood afar off, beholding these things.

No
Jn 19:25
QuoteNow there stood by the cross of Jesus his mother, and his mother's sister Mary the wife of Cleophas, and Mary Magdalene.

382. Did both thieves revile Jesus?
Yes

Mk 15:32
QuoteLet Christ the King of Israel descend now from the cross, that we may see and believe. And they that were crucified with him reviled him.

No
Lk 23:39-42
QuoteAnd one of the malefactors which were hanged railed on him, saying, If thou be Christ, save thyself and us.
But the other answering rebuked him, saying, Dost not thou fear God, seeing thou art in the same condemnation?
And we indeed justly; for we recieve the due reward of our deeds: but this man hath done nothing amiss.
And he said unto Jesus, Lord, remember me when thou comest into thy kingdom.

383. Was Jesus given vinegar mixed with gall to drink?
Yes

Mt 27:34
QuoteThey gave hin vinegar to drink mingled with gall: and when he had tasted thereof, he would not drink.

No
Mk 15:23
QuoteAnd they gave him to drink wine mixed with myrrh: but he recieved it not.
Jn 19:29
QuoteNow there was set a vessel full of vinegar: and they filled a sponge with vinegar, and put it upon hyssop, and put it to his mouth.

384. Was Jesus in Heaven on the same day he was crucified?
Yes

Lk 23:39-43
QuoteAnd Jesus said unto him, Verily I say unto thee, To day shalt thou be with me in paradise.

No
Jn 20:17
QuoteJesus saith unto her, Touch me not; for I am not yet ascended to my Father: but go to my brethren, and say unto them, I ascend unto my Father; and to my God, and your God.
Acts 1:3
QuoteTo whom also he shewed himself alive after his passion by many infallible proofs, being seen of them forty days, and speaking of the things pertaining to the kingdom of God.

385. Did Jesus receive the vinegar?
Yes

Jn 19:30
QuoteWhen Jesus therefore had recieved the vinegar, he said, It is finished: and he bowed his head, and he gave up the ghost.

No
Mk 15:23
QuoteAnd they gave him to drink wine mingled with myrrh: but he recieved it not.

386. Were Jesus's last words "It is finished"?
Yes

Jn 19:30
QuoteWhen Jesus therefore had recieved the vinegar, he said, It is finished: and he bowed his head, and he gave up the ghost.

No
Mt 27:46
QuoteAnd about the ninth hour Jesus cried out with a loud voice, saying, Eli, Eli, lama sabachthani? that is to say, My God, My God, why hast thou forsaken me?
Lk 23:46
QuoteAnd when Jesus had cried with a loud voice, he said, Father, into thy hands I commend my spirit: and having said thus, he gave up the ghost.

387. Did Jesus die before the veil of the Temple was torn?
Yes

Mt 27:50-51
QuoteJesus, when he had cried again with a loud voice, yielded up the ghost.
And, behold, the veil of the temple was rent in twain from the top to the bottom; and the earth did quake, and the rocks rent.
Mk 15:37-38
QuoteAnd Jesus cried with a loud voice, and gave up the ghost.
And the veil of the temple was rent in twain from the top to the bottom.

No
Lk 23:45-46
QuoteAnd the sun was darkened, and the veil of the temple was rent in the midst.
And when Jesus had cried with a loud voice, he said, Father, into thy hands I commend my spirit: and having said thus, he gave up the ghost.

388. Was Joseph alone when he buried Jesus?
Yes

Mt 27:57-60
QuoteWhen the even was come, the came a rich man of Arimathea, named Joseph, who also himself was Jesus' disciple:
He went to pilate, and begged the body of Jesus. Then Pilate commanded the body to be delivered.
And when Joseph had taken the body, he wrapped it in a clean linen cloth,
And laid it in his own new tomb , which he had hewn out of the rock: and he rolled a great stone to the door of the sepulchre, and departed.
Mk 15:45-46
QuoteAnd when he knew it of the centurion, he gave the body to Joseph.
And he bought fine linen, and took him down, and wrapped him in the linen, and laid him in a sepulchre which was hewn out of rock, and rolled a stone unto the door of the sepulchre.
Lk 23:50-53
QuoteAnd, behold, there was a man named Joseph, a counsellor; and he was a good man, and a just:
(The same had not consented to counsel and deed of them;) he was of Arimathea, a city of the Jews: who also himself waited for the kingdom of God.
This man went unto Pilate, and begged the body of Jesus.
And he took it down, and wrapped it in linen, and laid it in a sepulchre that was hewn in stone, wherein never never man before was laid.

No
Jn 19:38-42
QuoteAnd after this Joseph of Arimathea, being a disciple of Jesus, but secretly for fear of the Jews, besought Pilate that he might take away the body of Jesus: and Pilate gave him leave. He came therefore, and took the body of Jesus.
And there came also Nicodemus, which at the first came to Jesus by night, and brought a mixture of myrrh and aloes, about an hundred pound weight.
Then took they the body of Jesus, and wound it in linen clothes with the spices, as the manner of the Jews is to bury.
Now in the place where he was crucified there was a garden; and in the garden a new sepulchre, wherein was never man yet laid.
There laid they Jesus therefore because of the Jews' preparation day; for the sepulchre was nigh at hand.

389. Did the women anoint Jesus's body with spices?
Yes

Mk 16:1
QuoteAnd when the sabbath was past, Mary Magdalene, and Mary the mother of James, and Salome, had bought sweet spices, that they might come and anoint him.
Lk 23:55-56
QuoteAnd the women also, which came with him from Galilee, followed after, and beheld the sepulchre, and how his body was laid.
And they returned, and prepared spices and ointments; and rested the sabbath day, according to the commandment.

No
Jn 19:39-40
QuoteAnd there came also Nicodemus, which at the first came to Jesus by night, and brought a mixture of myrrh and aloes, about an hundred pound weight.
Then took they the body of Jesus, and wound it in linen clothes with the spices, as the manner of the Jews is to bury.

390. Did Jesus forewarn his apostles of his death and resurrection?
Yes

Mt 20:18-19
QuoteBehold, we go up to Jerusalem; and the Son of man will be betrayed unto the chief priests and unto the scribes, and they shall condemn him to death,
And shall deliver him to the Gentiles to mock, and to scourge, and to crucify him: and the third day he shall be raised again.
Mk 8:31
QuoteAnd he began to teach them, that the Son of man must suffer many things, and be rejected of the elders, and of the chief priests, and scribes, and be killed, and after three days rise again.
10:33-34
QuoteSaying, Behold, we go up to Jerusalem; and the Son of man will be delivered unto the chief priests, and unto the scribes; and they shall condemn him to death, and shall deliver him to the Gentiles:
And they shall mock him, and shall scourge him, and shall spit upon him, and shall kill him: and the third day he shall rise again.
Lk 18:31-33
QuoteThen he took unto him the twelve, and said unto them, Behold, we go up to Jerusalem, and all things that are written by the prophets concerning the Son of man shall be accomplished.
For he shall be delivered unto the Gentiles, and shall be mocked, and spitefully treated, and spitted upon:
And they shall scourge him, and put him to death: and the third day he shall rise again.

No
Jn 20:9
QuoteFor as yet they knew not the scripture, that he must rise again from the dead.

391. Was it still dark when the women (or woman) arrived at the sepulchre?
Yes

Jn 20:1
QuoteThe first day of the week cometh Mary Magdalene early, when it was yet dark, unto the sepulchre, and seeth the stone taken away from the sepulchre.

No
Mt 28:1
QuoteIn the end of the sabbath, as it began to dawn towards the first day of the week, came Mary Magdalene and the other Mary to see the sepulchre.
Mk 16:1-2
QuoteAnd when the sabbath was past, Mary Magdalene, and Mary the mother of James, and Salome, had bought sweet spices, that they might come and anoint him.
And very early in the morning the first day of the week, they came unto the sepulchre at the rising of the sun.

392. Were there guards at the tomb?
Yes

Mt 27:62-66
QuoteNow the next day, that followed the day of preparation, the chief priests and Pharisees came together unto Pilate,
Saying, Sir, we remember that that deciever said, while he was yet alive, After three days I will rise again.
Command therefore that the sepulchre be made secure until the third day, lest his disciples come by night, and steal him away, and say unto the people, he is risen from the dead: so the last error shall be worse that the first.
Pilate said unto them, Ye have a watch: go your way, make it sure as you can.
So they went, and made the sepulchre sure, sealing the stone, and setting a watch.
28:2-4
QuoteAnd, behold, there was a great earthquake: for the angel of the Lord descended from heaven, and came and rolled back the stone from the door, and sat upon it.
His countenance was like lightning, and his raiment white as snow.
And for fear of him the keepers did shake, and became as dead men.
11-15
QuoteNow when they were going, behold, some of the watch came into the city, and shewed unto the chief priests all the things that were done.
And when they were assembled with the elders, and had taken counsel, they gave large money unto the soldiers,
Saying, Say ye, His disciples came by night, and stole him away while we slept.
And if this come to the governor's ears, we will persuade him, and secure you.
So they took the money, and did as they were taught: and this saying is commonly reported among the Jews until this day.

No
Mk 15:44-16:10
Lk 23:50-24:12
Jn 19:38-20:12
[note: nowhere in these three passages are any guards mentioned]

393. Was there only one angel at the tomb?
Yes

Mt 28:2-5
QuoteAnd, behold, there was a great earthquake: for the angel of the Lord descended from heaven, and came and rolled back the stone from the door, and sat upon it.
His countenance was like lightning, and his raiment white as snow:
And for fear of him the keepers did shake, and became as dead men. And the angel answered and said unto the women, Fear not ye: for I know that ye seek Jesus, which was crucified.
Mk 16:5-6
QuoteAnd entering into the sepulchre, they saw a young man sitting on the right side, clothed in a long white garment; and they were affrighted.
And he saith unto them, Ye seek Jesus of Nazareth, which was crucified: he is risen: he is not here: behold the place where they laid him.

No
Lk 24:4-5
QuoteAnd it came to pass, as they were much perplexed thereabout, behold, two men stood by them in shining garments:
And as they were afraid, and bowed down their faces to the earth, they said unto them, Why seek ye the living among the dead?
Jn 20:11-12
QuoteBut Mary stood without at the sepulchre weeping: and as she wept, she stooped down, and looked into the sepulchre,
And seeth two angels in white sitting, one at the head, and the other at the feet, where the body of Jesus had lain.

394. Were the angels outside the tomb when the women (or woman) arrived?
Yes

Mt 28:2

No
Mk 16:5
QuoteAnd entering into the sepulchre, they saw a young man sitting on the right side, clothed in a long white garment; and they were affrighted.
Lk 24:3-4
QuoteAnd they entered in, and found not the body of Jesus.
And it came to pass, as they were much perplexed thereabout, behold, two men stood by them in shining garments:
Jn 20:11-12
QuoteBut Mary stood without at the sepulchre weeping: and as she wept, she stooped down, and looked into the sepulchre,
And seeth two angels in white sitting, one at the head, and the other at the feet, where the body of Jesus had lain.
"Some say God is living there [in space]. I was looking around very attentively, but I did not see anyone there. I did not detect either angels or gods....I don't believe in God. I believe in man - his strength, his possibilities, his reason."

Unbeliever

September 06, 2006, 02:45:11 pm #17 Last Edit: May 22, 2012, 01:41:26 pm by Unbeliever
395. Who did the women (or woman) see at the tomb?
A) one man

B) two men Lk 24:4
QuoteAnd it came to pass as they were much perplexed thereabout, behold, two men stood by them in shining garments:

C) one angel Mt 28:2

D) two angels Jn 20:12
QuoteAnd seeth two angels in white sitting, one at the head, and the other at the feet, where the body of Jesus had lain.

396. Was the stone rolled away when the women (or woman) arrived?
Yes

Lk 24:1-2
QuoteNow upon the first day of the week, very early in the morning, they came unto the sepulchre, bringing the spices which they had prepared, and certain others with them.
And they found the stone rolled away from the sepulchre.
Jn 20:1
QuoteThe first day of the week cometh Mary Magdalene early, when it was yet dark, and seeth the stone taken away from the sepulchre.

No
Mt 28:1-2
QuoteIn the end of the sabbath, as it began to dawn toward the first day of the week, came Mary Magdalene and the other Mary to see the sepulchre.
And, behold, there was a great earthquake: for the angel of the Lord descended from heaven, and came and rolled back the stone from the door, and sat upon it.

Mk 16:2-3
QuoteAnd very early in the morning the first day of the week, they came unto the sepulchre at the rising of the sun.
And they said among themselves, Who shall roll us away the stone from the door of the sepulchre?

397. Did the women (or woman) arrive before the angels?
Yes

Jn 20:1-12
QuoteThe first day of the week cometh Mary Magdalene early, when it was yet dark, unto the sepulchre, and seeth the stone taken away from the sepulchre.
Then she runneth, and cometh to Simon Peter, and to the other disciple, whom Jesus loved, and saith unto them, They have taken away the Lord out of the sepulchre, and we know not where they have laid him.
Peter therefore went forth, and that other disciple, and came to the sepulchre.
So they ran both together: and the other disciple did outrun Peter, and came first to the sepulchre.
And he stooping down, and looking in, saw the linen clothes lying; yet went he not in.
Then cometh Simon Peter following him, and went into the sepulchre, and seeth the linen clothes lie,
And the napkin, that was around his head, not lying with the linen clothes, but wrapped together in a place by itself.
Then went in also that other disciple, which came first to the sepulchre, and saw, and believed.
For as yet they knew not the scripture, that he must rise again from the dead.
Then the disciples went away again unto their own home.
But Mary stood withour the sepulchre weeping: and as she wept, she stooped down, and looked into the sepulchre,
And seeth two angels in white sitting, the one at the head, and the other at the feet, where the body of Jesus had lain.

No

398. Did the angel appear like lightning?
Yes

Mt 28:2-4
His countenance was like lightning, and his raiment was white as snow.

No
Lk 24:4
QuoteAnd it came to pass, as they were much perplexed thereabout, behold, two men stood by them in shining garments.

399. Did Jesus appear at all to Mary Magdalene?
Yes

Mk 16:9
QuoteNow when Jesus was risen the first day of the week, he appeared first to Mary Magdalene, out of whom he had cast seven devils.
Jn 20:14
QuoteAnd when she had thus said, she turned herself back, and saw Jesus standing, and knew not that it was Jesus.

No
Lk 24:1-51[note: nowhere in this resurrection chapter of Luke does it say anything about Mary Magdalene seeing Jesus after his resurrection.]
1 Cor 15:3-8
QuoteFor I delivered unto you first of all that which I recieved, how that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures;
And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures:
And that he was seen of Cephas, then of the twelve:
After that, he was seen of above five hundred brethren at once; of who the greater part remain unto this present, but some are fallen asleep.
After that, he was seen of James; then of all the apostles.
And last of all he was seen by me also, as one born out of due time.
[note: this passage nowhere mentions Jesus having been seen by Mary Magdalene.]

400. Did Mary recognize Jesus immediately?
Yes

Mt 28:9
QuoteAnd as they went to tell his disciples, Jesus met them, saying, All hail. And they came and held him by the feet, and worshipped him.
Mk 16:9-10
QuoteNow when Jesus was risen early the first day of the week, he appeared first to Mary Magdalene, out of whom he had cast seven devils.
And she went and told them that had been with him, as they mourned and wept.

No
QuoteAnd when she had thus said, she turned herself back, and saw Jesus standing, and knew not that it was Jesus.

401. Did the women immediately tell the disciples?
Yes

Mt 28:8
QuoteAnd they departed quickly from the sepulchre with fear and great joy; and did run to bring his desciples word.
Mk 16:9-10
QuoteNow when Jesus was risen early the first day of the week, he appeared first to Mary Magdalene, out of whom he had cast seven devils.
Lk 24:9
QuoteAnd returned from the sepulchre, and told all these things unto the eleven, and to all the rest.

No
Mk 16:8
QuoteAnd they went out quickly, and fled from the sepulchre; for they trembled and were amazed: neither said they any thing to any man; for they were afraid.

402. Could anyone touch Jesus before his ascension?
Yes

QuoteAnd as they went to tell his disciples, behold, Jesus met them, saying, All hail. and they came and held him by the feet, and worshipped him.
Lk 24:39
QuoteBehold my hands and my feet, that it is I myself: handle me, and see; for a spirit hath not flesh and bones, as ye see me have.
Jn 20:26-27
QuoteAnd after eitht days again his disciples were within, and Thomas with them: then came Jesus, the doors being shut, and stood in the midst, and said, Peace be unto you.
Then saith he to Thomas, Reach hither thy finger, and behold my hands; and reach hither thy hand, and thrust it into my side: and be not faithless, but believing.

No
Jn 20:17
QuoteJesus saith unto her, Touch me not; for I am not yet ascended to my Father: but go to my brethren, and say unto them, I ascend unto my Father; and to my God, and your God.

403. Did Jesus appear to Mary at the tomb after the disciples were told?
Yes

Jn 20:1-14
QuoteThe first day of the week cameth Mary Magdalene early, when it was yet dark, unto the sepulchre, and seeth the stone taken away from the sepulchre.
Then she runneth, and cometh to Simon Peter, and to the other disciple, whom Jesus loved, and saith unto them, They have taken away the Lord out of the sepulchre, and we know not where they have laid him.
So they ran both together: and the other disciple did outrun Peter, and came first to the sepulchre.
And he stooping down, and looking in, saw the linen clothes lying; yet went he not in.
Then cometh Simon Peter following him, and went into the sepulchre, and seeth the linen clothes lie.
And the napkin, that was about his head, not lying with the linen clothes, but wrapped together in a place by itself.
Then went in also that other disciple, which came first to the sepulchre, and he saw, and believed.
But Mary stood without at the sepulchre weeping: and as she wept, she stooped down, and looked into the sepulchre,
And seeth two angels in white sitting, the one at the head, and the other at the feet, where the body of Jesus had lain.
And they say unto her, Woman, why weepest thou? She saith unto them, because they have taken away my Lord, and I know not where they have laid him.
And when she had thus said, she turned herself back, and saw Jesus standing, and knew not that it was Jesus.

No
Mt 28:1-9
QuoteIn the end of the sabbath, as it began to dawn toward the first day of the week, came Mary Magdalene and the other Mary to see the sepulchre.
And, behold, there was a great earthquake: for the angel of the Lord descended from heaven, and came and rolled back the stone from the door, and sat upon it.
And the angel answered and said unto the women, Fear not ye: for I know that ye seek Jesus, which was crucified.
He is not here: for he is risen, as he said. Come, see the place where the Lord lay.
And go quickly, and tell his disciples he is risen from the dead; and, behold, he goeth before you into Galilee; there shall ye see him: lo, I have told you.
And they departed quickly from the sepulchre with fear and great joy; and did run to bring his disciples word.
And as they went to tell his disciples, behold, Jesus met them, saying, All hail. And they came and held him by the feet, and worshipped him.
Mk 16:1-10
QuoteAnd when the sabbath was past, Mary Magdalene, and Mary the mother of James, And Salome, had bought sweet spices, that they might come and annoint him.
And very early in the morning the first day of the week, they came unto the sepulchre at the rising of the sun.
And they said among themselves, Who shall roll us away the stone from the door of the sepulchre?
And when they looked, they saw that the stone was rolled away: for it was very great.
And entering into the sepulchre, they saw a young man sitting on the right side, clothed in a long white garment; and they were affrighted.
And he saith unto them, Be not affrighted: Ye seek Jesus of Nazareth, which was crucified: he is risen, he is not here: behold the place where they laid him.
But go your way, tell his disciples and Peter that he goeth before you into Galilee: there shall ye see him, as he said unto you.
And they went out quickly, and fled from the sepulchre; for they trembled and were amazed: neither said they any thing to any man; for they were afraid.
Now when Jesus was risen early the first day of the week, he appeared first to Mary Magdalene, out of whom he had cast seven devils.

404. Did Mary return to the tomb?
Yes

Jn 20:2-11
QuoteThen she runneth, and cometh to Simon Peter, and to the other disciple, whom Jesus loved, and saith unto them, They have taken away the Lord out of the sepulchre, and we know not where they have laid him.
So they both ran together: and the other disciple did outrun Peter, and came first to the sepulchre.
And he stooping down, and looking in, saw the linen clothes lying: yet went he not in.
Then cometh Simon Peter following him, and went into the sepulchre, and seeth the linen clothes lie,
And the napkin, that was about his head, not lying with the linen clothes, but wrapped together in a place by itself.
Then went in also that other disciple, which came first to the sepulchre, and saw, and believed.
Bur Mary stood without at the sepulchre weeping: and as she wept, she stooped down, and looked into the sepulchre.

No
Mt 28:1-10
And, behold, there was a great earthquake: for the angel of the lord descended from heaven, and came and rolled back the stone from the door, and sat upon it.
And the angel answered and said unto the women, Fear not ye: for I know that ye seek Jesus, which was crucified.
He is not here: for he is risen, as he said. Come, see the place where the Lord lay.
And go quickly, and tell his disciples that he is risen from the dead; And, behold, he goeth before you into Galilee; There shall ye see him: lo, I have told you.
And they departed quickly from the sepulchre with fear and great joy; and did run to bring his disciples word.
And as they went to tell his disciples, behold, Jesus met them,  saying, All hail. And they came and held him by the feet, and worshipped him.
Then Jesus said unto them, Be not afraid: go tell my brethren that they go into Galilee, and there shall they see me.
Mk 16:8-14
QuoteAnd they went out quickly, and fled from the sepulchre; for they trembled and were amazed: neither said they anything to any man; for they were afraid.
Now when Jesus was risen early the first day of the week, he appeared first to Mary Magdalene, out of whom he had cast seven devils.
And they, when they had heard that he was alive, and had been seen of her, believed not.
After that he appeared in another form to two of them, as they walked, and went into the country.
And they went and told it unto the residue: neither believed they them.
Afterward he appeared unto the eleven as they sat at meat, and upbraided them with their unbelief and hardness of heart, because they believed not them which had seen him after he was risen.
Lk 24:9-12
QuoteAnd returned from the sepulchre, and told all these things unto the eleven, and to all the rest.
It was Mary Magdalene, and Joanna, and Mary the mother of James, and other women that were with them, which told these things unto the apostles.
And their words seemed to them as idle tales, and they believed them not.
Then arose Peter, and ran unto the sepulchre; and stooping down, he beheld the linen clothes laid by themselves, and departed, wondering in himself at that which had come to pass.

405. Was Peter alone when he went to the tomb?
Yes

Lk 24:12
QuoteThen arose Peter, and ran unto the sepulchre; and stooping down, he beheld the linen clothes laid by themselves, and departed, wondering in himself at that which had come to pass.

No
Jn 20:2-6
QuoteThen she runneth, and cometh to Simon Peter, and to the other disciple, whom Jesus loved, and saith unto them, They have taken away the Lord out of the sepulchre, and we know not where they have laid him.
And stooping down, and looking in, saw the linen clothes lying; yet went he not in.

406. Did Jesus appear first to Peter?
Yes

1 Cor 15:3-5
QuoteFor I delivered unto you first of all that which I also received, how that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures;
And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day accordinbg to the scriptures:
And that he was seen of Cephas, then of the twelve:

No
QuoteAnd as they went to tell his disciples, Jesus met them, saying, All hail. And they came and held him by the feet, and worshipped him.
Mk 16:9
Lk 24:13-15
QuoteAnd, behold, two of them went that same day to a village called Emmaus, which was from Jerusalem about threescore furlongs.
And they talked together of all these things which had happened.
And it came to pass, that, while they communed together and reasoned, Jesus himself drew near, and went with them.
QuoteAnd when she had thus said, she turned herslef back, and saw Jesus standing, and knew not the it was Jesus.

407. Did Peter go to the tomb before the others were told about it?
Yes

Jn 20:1-3
No
Lk 24:9-12
It was Mary Magdalene, and Joanna, and Mary the mother of James, and other women that were with them, which told these things unto the apostles.
And their words seemed to them as idle tales, and they believed them not.
Then arose Peter, and ran unto the sepulchre; and stooping down, he beheld the linen clothes laying by themselves, and departed, wondering in himself at that which was come to pass.

408. Did Jesus appear specially to two disciples?
Yes

Mk 16:12
QuoteAfter that he appeared in another form unto two of them, as they walked, and went into the country.
Lk 24:13-15
QuoteAnd, behold, two of them went that same day to a village called Emmaus, which was from Jerusalem about threescore furlongs.
And it came to pass, that, as they communed together, and reasoned, Jesus himself drew near, and went with them.

No
Mt 28:16-18
QuoteThen the eleven disciples went away into Galilee, into a mountain where Jesus had appointed them.
And when they saw him, they worshipped him: but some doubted.
And Jesus came and spake unto them, saying, All power is given unto me in heaven and earth.
Jn 20:19-29
QuoteThen the same day at evening, being the first day of the week, when the doors were shut where the disciples were assembled for fear of the Jews, came Jesus and stood in the midst, and saith unto them, Peace be unto you.
And when he had so said, he shewed unto them his hands and his side. Then were the disciples glad, when they saw the Lord.
Then said Jesus to them again, Peace be unto you: as my Father has sent me, even so send I you.
And when he had said this, he breathed on them, and saith unto them, Recieve ye the Holy Ghost:
Whose soever sins ye remit, they are remitted unto them; and whose soever sins ye retain, they are retained.

[note: nowhere in this gospel is any mention made of a special appearance by Jesus to two of his disciples]

409. Did the two disciples recognize Jesus immediately?
Yes

Mk 16:12-13
QuoteAfter that he appeared in another form unto two of them, as they walked, and went into the country.
And they went and told it unto the residue: neither believed they them.

No
Lk 24:13-16
And it came to pass, that, while they communed together and reasoned, Jesus himself drew near, and went with them.
But their eyes were holden that they should know him not.

410. Did Jesus appear as they spoke to the others?
Yes

Lk 24:36
QuoteAnd as they thus spake, Jesus himself stood in the midst of them, and saith unto them, Peace be unto you.

No
Mk 16:14
QuoteAfterward he appeared unto the eleven as they sat at meat, and upbraided them with their unbelief and hardness of heart, because they believed not them which had seen him after he was risen.

411. Did Jesus scold the others for not believing the two disciples?
Yes

Mk 16:14
QuoteAfterward he appeared unto the eleven as they sat at meat, and upbraided them with their unbelief and hardness of heart, because they believed not them which had seen him after he was risen.

No
Lk 24:36-49
QuoteAnd as they thus spake, Jesus himself stood in the midst of them, and saith unto them, Peace be unto you.
But they were terrified and affrighted, and supposed that they had seen a spirit.
And he said unto them, Why are ye troubled? and why do thoughts arise in your hearts?
Behold my hands and my feet, that it is I myself: handle me, and see; for a spirit hath not flesh and bones, as ye see me have.

And when he had thus spoken, he shewed them his hands and his feet.
And while they yet believed not for joy, and wondered, he said unto them, Have ye here any meat?
And they gave him a piece of a broiled fish, and he did eat before them.
And he said unto them, These are the words which I spake unto you, while I was yet with you, that all things must be fulfilled, which were written in the law of Moses, and in the prophets, and in the Psalms, concerning me.
Then opened he their understanding, that they might understand the scripture,
And said unto them, Thus it is written, and thus it behoved Christ to suffer, and to rise from the dead the third day:
And that repentence and remission of sins should be preached in his name to all nations, beginning at Jerusalem.
And ye are witnesses of these things.
And, behold, I send the promise of my Father upon you: but tarry ye in the city of Jerusalem, until ye be endued with power from on high.

412. Did Jesus appear more than once to the disciples?
Yes

Jn 20:19-26
QuoteThen the same day at evening, being the first day of the week, when the doors were shut where the disciples were assembled for fear of the Jews, came Jesus and stood in the midst, and saith unto them, Peace be unto you.
And when he had so said, he shewed unto them his hands and his side. Then were the disciples glad, when they saw the Lord.
Then said Jesus to them again, Peace be unto you: as my Father hath sent me, even so send I you.
And when he had said this, he breathed on them, and saith unto them, Recieve ye the Holy Ghost:
Whose soever sins ye remit, they are remitted unto them; and whose soever sins ye retain, they are retained.

But Thomas, one of the twelve, called Didymus, was not with them when Jesus came.
The other disciples therefore said unto him, We have seen the Lord. But he said unto them, Except I shall see in his hands the print of the nails, and put my finger into the print of the nails, and thrust my hand into his side, I will not believe.
And after eight days again his disciples were within, and Thomas with them: then came Jesus, the doors being shut, and stood in the midst of them, and said, Peace be unto you.

21:1-2
QuoteAfter these things Jesus shewed himself again to the disciples at the sea of Tiberius; and on this wise shewed he himself.
There were together Simon Peter, and Thomas called Didymus, and Nathaniel of Cana in Galilee, and the sons of Zebedee, and two other of his disciples.
QuoteThis is now the third time that Jesus shewed himself to his disciples, after that he was risen from the dead.

No
Mk 16:14-19
QuoteAnd afterward he appeared unto the eleven as they sat at meat, and upbraided them with their unbelief and hardness of heart, because the believed not them that had seen him after he was risen.
And he said unto them, Go ye into all the world, and preach the gospel to every creature.
He that believeth and is baptised shall be saved; but he that believeth not shall be damned.
And these signs will follow them that believe; In my name shall they cast out devils; they shall speak with new tongues;
They shall take up serpents; and if they drink any deadly thing, it shall not hurt them; they shall lay hands on the sick, and they shall recover.

So then after the Lord had spoken to them, he was recieved up into heaven, and sat on the right hand of God.
Lk 24:36-51
But they were terrified and affrighted, and supposed that they had seen a spirit.
And he said unto them, Why are ye troubled? and why do thoughts arise in your hearts?
Behold my hands and my feet, that it is I myself: handle me, and see; for a spirit hath not flesh and bones, as ye see me have.

And when he had thus spoken, he shewed them his hands and his feet.
And while they yet believed not for joy, and wondered, he said unto them, Have ye here any meat?
And they gave him a piece of broiled fish, and of an honeycomb.
And he took it, and did eat before them.
And he said unto them, These are the words which I spake unto you, while I was yet with you, that all things must be fulfilled, which were written in the law of Moses, and in the prophets, concerning me.
And then opened he their understanding, that they might understand the scriptures.
And said unto them, Thus it is written, and thus it behoved Christ to suffer, and to rise from the dead the third day:
And that repentance and remission should be preached in his name among all nations, beginning at Jerusalem.
And ye are witnesses of these things.
And, behold, I send the promise of my Father upon you: but tarry ye in the city of Jerusalem, until ye be endued with power from on high.

And he led them out as far as to Bethany, and he lifted up his hands, and blessed them.
And it came to pass, while he blessed them, he was parted from them, and carried up into heaven.

413. Did Jesus appear to the disciples twice, 8 days apart?
Yes

Jn 20:19
QuoteAnd after eight days again his disciples were within, and Thomas with them: then came Jesus, the doors being shut, and stood in the midst, and said, Peace be unto you.

No
Mt 28:16-18
QuoteThen the eleven disciples went away into Galilee, into a mountain where Jesus had appointed thm.
And Jesus came and spake unto them, saying, All power is given unto me in heaven and in earth.
Mk 14:14
QuoteAfterward he appeared unto the eleven as they sat at meat, and upbraided them with their unbelief and hardness of heart, because they believed not thm which had seen him after he was risen.
Lk 24:36
QuoteAnd it came to pass, while he blessed them, he was parted from them, and carried up into heaven.

414. Did Jesus first appear to the disciples in Galilee?
Yes

Mt 28:9-10
QuoteAnd as they went to tell his disciples, behold, Jesus met them, saying, All hail. And they came and held him by the feet, and worshipped him.
Then said Jesus unto them, Be not afraid, go tell my brethren that they go into Galilee, and there shall they see me.
16-18
QuoteThen the eleven disciples went away into Galilee, into a mountain where Jesus had appointed them.
And Jesus came and spake unto them, saying, All power is given unto me in heaven and in earth.

No
Lk 24:33-36
QuoteAnd they rose up the same hour, and returned to Jerusalem, and found the eleven gathered together, and them that were with them,
Saying, The Lord is risen indeed, and hath appeared to Simon.
And they told what things were done in the way, and how he was known of them in breaking of bread.
And as they thus spake, Jesus himself stood in the midst of them, and saith unto them, Peace be unto you.
Acts 1:4
QuoteAnd, being assembled together with them, commanded them that they should not depart from Jerusalem, but wait for the promise of the Father, which, saith he, ye have heard of me.

415. Did Jesus ascend to heaven from Bethany?
Yes

Lk 24:50-51
QuoteAnd he led them out as far as to Bethany, and he lifted up his hands, and blessed them.
And it came to pass, while he blessed them, he was parted from them, and was carried up into heaven.

No
Acts 1:9
QuoteAnd when he had spoken these things, while they beheld, he was taken up; and a cloud recieved him out of their sight.
QuoteThen returned they unto Jerusalem from the mount called Olivet, which is from Jerusalem a sabbath day's journey.

416. Did anyone receive the Holy Ghost before Jesus' resurrection?
Yes

Lk 1:41
QuoteAnd it came to pass, that, when Elizabeth heard the salutation of Mary, the babe leaped in her womb; and Elizabeth was filled with the Holy Ghost.
QuoteAnd his father Zacharias was filled with the Holy Ghost, and prophesied, saying,
2:25
QuoteAnd, behold, there was a man in Jerusalem, whose name was Simeon; and the same man was just and devout, waiting for the consolation of Israel: and the Holy Ghost was upon him.

No
Jn 7:39
QuoteBut this spake he of the Spirit, which they that believe on him should recieve: for the Holy Ghost was not yet given; because that Jesus was not yet glorified.
20:22
QuoteAnd when he had said this, he breathed on them, and saith unto them, Recieve ye the Holy Ghost.

417. Did the men with Paul hear the voice?
Yes

Acts 9:7
QuoteAnd the men which journeyed with him stood speechless, hearing a voice, but seeing no man.

No
Acts 22:9
QuoteAnd they that were with me saw indeed the light, and were afraid; but they heard not the voice of him that spake to me.

418. Were the men with Paul standing when he heard the voice?
Yes

Acts 9:7
QuoteAnd the men which journeyed with him stood speechless, hearing a voice, but seeing no man.

No
Acts 26:14
QuoteAnd when we were all fallen to the earth, I heard a voice speaking unto me, and saying in the Hebrew tongue, Saul, Saul, why persecutest thou me? it is hard for thee to kick against the pricks.

419. Was Paul to preach the word in Asia?
Yes

Acts 19:8-10
QuoteAnd he went into the synagogue and spake boldly for the space of three months, disputing and persuading the things concerning the kingdom of God.
But when divers were hardened, and believed not, but spake evil of that way before the multitude, he departed from them, and separated the disciples, disputing daily in the school of one Tyrannus.
And this continued by the space of two years; so that all that dwelt in Asia heard the word of the Lord Jesus, both Jews and Greeks.

No
Mt 10:5-6
QuoteThese twelve Jesus sent forth, and commanded them, saying, Go not into the way of the Gentiles, and into any city of the Samaritans enter ye not:
But go rather to the lost sheep of the house of Israel.
Acts 16:6
QuoteNow when they had gone throughout Phrygia and the region of Galatia, and were forbidden of the Holy Ghost to preach the word in Asia,

420. Was the gospel to be preached in Samaria?
Yes

Acts 8:25
QuoteAnd they, when they had testified and preached the word of the Lord, returned to Jerusalem, and preached the gospel in many villages of the Samaritans.

No
Mt 10:5-6
QuoteThese twleve Jesus sent forth, and commanded them, saying, Go not into the way of the Gentiles, and into any city of the Samaritans enter ye not:
But go rather to the lost sheep of the house of Israel.

421. Was Peter to preach the gospel to Gentiles?
Yes

Acts 15:7
QuoteAnd when there had been much disputing, Peter rose up, and said unto them, Men and brethren, ye know  how that a good while ago, God made choice among us, that the Gentiles by my mouth should hear the word of the gospel, and believe.

No
Mt 10:5
QuoteThese twelve Jesus sent forth, and commanded them, saying, Go not into the way of the Gentiles, and into any city of the Samaritans enter ye not:
But go rather to the lost sheep of the house of Israel
Gal 2:7-8
QuoteBut contrariwise, when they saw that the gospel of the uncircumcision was committed unto me, as the gospel of the circumcision was unto Peter;
(For he that wrought effectually in Peter to the apostleship of the circumcision, the same was mighty in me towards the Gentiles:)

Paul vs Jesus:

1. On the time of the coming of the Lord:

Paul says:

Rom.13
[12] the night is far gone, the day is at hand.

Jesus says:

Luke.21
[8] Take heed that you are not led astray; for many will come in my name,
saying, . . . `The time is at hand!' Do not go after them.

2. On the source of the Truth and the true gospel:

Paul says:

1Cor.2
[13] And we impart this in words not taught by human wisdom but taught by the Spirit, interpreting spiritual truths to those who possess the Spirit.
Gal.1
[12] For I did not receive it from man, nor was I taught it, but it came through a revelation of Jesus Christ.

Jesus says:

John.17
[14] I have given them thy word;
[17] Sanctify them in the truth; thy word is truth.

3. On the God of the dead:

Paul says:

Rom.14
[9] For to this end Christ died and lived again, that he might be Lord both of the dead and of the living.

Jesus says:
Luke.20
[38] Now he is not God of the dead, but of the living;

4. On the sum of the commandments:

Paul says:

Rom.13
[9] The commandments, "You shall not commit adultery, You shall not kill, You shall not steal, You shall not covet," and any other commandment, are summed up in this sentence, "You shall love your neighbor as yourself.

Jesus says:
Matt.22
[37] And he said to him, "You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your mind.
[38] This is the great and first commandment.
[39] And a second is like it, You shall love your neighbor as yourself.
[40] On these two commandments depend all the law and the prophets.

5. On whom God has mercy:

Paul says:
Rom.9
[15] For he says to Moses, "I will have mercy on whom I have mercy, and I will have compassion on whom I have compassion."
[16] So it depends not upon man's will or exertion, but upon God's mercy.
[18] So then he has mercy upon whomever he wills, and he hardens the heart of whomever he wills.

Jesus says:
Matt.5
[7] Blessed are the merciful, for they shall obtain mercy.

6. On forgiveness of trespasses:

Paul says:
Eph.1
[7] In him we have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of our trespasses, according to the riches of his grace
Rom.4
[25] who was put to death for our trespasses and raised for our justification.

Jesus says:
Matt.6
[14] For if you forgive men their trespasses, your heavenly Father also will forgive you;
[15] but if you do not forgive men their trespasses, neither will your Father forgive your trespasses.

7. On being justified:

Paul says:
Rom.3
[24] they are justified by his grace as a gift, through the redemption which is in Christ Jesus,
[28] For we hold that a man is justified by faith apart from works of law.
Rom.5
[9] Since, therefore, we are now justified by his blood, much more shall we be saved by him from the wrath of God.

Jesus says:
Matt.12
[37] for by your words you will be justified, and by your words you will be condemned.

8. On the cost of eternal life:

Paul says:
Rom.6
[23] For the wages of sin is death, but the free gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord.

Jesus says:
Matt.19
[29] And every one who has left houses or brothers or sisters or father or mother or children or lands, for my name's sake, will receive a hundredfold, and inherit eternal life.
Luke.14
[28] For which of you, desiring to build a tower, does not first sit down and count the cost, whether he has enough to complete it?
[33] So therefore, whoever of you does not renounce all that he has cannot be my disciple.

9. On what is honorable among men:

Paul says:
2Cor.8
[21] for we aim at what is honorable not only in the Lord's sight but also in the sight of men.
Rom.12
[17] Repay no one evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all men.
Rom.14
[18] he who thus serves Christ is acceptable to God and approved by men.
1Cor.10
[33] just as I try to please all men in everything I do, not seeking my own advantage, but that of many, that they may be saved.

Jesus says:
Luke.16
[15] But he said to them, You are those who justify yourselves before men, but God knows your hearts; for what is exalted among men is an abomination in the sight of God.
Luke.6
[26] Woe to you, when all men speak well of you, for so their fathers did to the false prophets.

10. On Dying:

Paul says:
I Corinthians 15

31: I protest, brethren, by my pride in you which I have in Christ Jesus our Lord, I die every day!

Jesus says:
John 11
26: and whoever lives and believes in me shall never die.

11. On the basis of judgment:

Paul says:
Rom.2
[12] All who have sinned without the law will also perish without the law, and all who have sinned under the law will be judged by the law.

Jesus says:
John.12
[48] He who rejects me and does not receive my sayings has a judge; the word that I have spoken will be his judge on the last day.

12. On the commandments and eternal life:                     
Paul says:
Rom.7
[9] I was once alive apart from the law, but when the commandment came, sin revived and I died;
[10] the very commandment which promised life proved to be death to me.

Jesus says:
Matt.19
[17] And he said to him, Why do you ask me about what is good? One there is who is good. If you would enter life, keep the commandments.

13. On your father:

Paul says:
1Cor.4
[15] For though you have countless guides in Christ, you do not have many fathers. For I became your father in Christ Jesus through the gospel.
Phlm.1
[10] I appeal to you for my child, Ones'imus, whose father I have become in my imprisonment.

Jesus says:
Matt.23

[9] And call no man your father on earth, for you have one Father, who is in heaven.

14. On qualifying for eternal life:

Paul says:
Rom.5
[21] so that, as sin reigned in death, grace also might reign through righteousness to eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord.

Jesus says:
John.5
[24] Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears my word and believes him who sent me, has eternal life; he does not come into judgment, but has passed from death to life.

15. On the destiny of the creation (heavens and earth):

Paul says:
Rom.8
[21] because the creation itself will be set free from its bondage to decay and obtain the glorious liberty of the children of God.

Jesus says:
Matt.24
[35] Heaven and earth will pass away,

16. On the destiny of the Law and the Prophets:

Paul says:
Rom.10
[4] For Christ is the end of the law, that every one who has faith may be justified.

Jesus says:
Matt.5
[17] Think not that I have come to abolish the law and the prophets; I have come not to abolish them but to fulfil them.
[18] For truly, I say to you, till heaven and earth pass away, not an iota, not a dot, will pass from the law until all is accomplished.

17. On the number and identity of teachers:

Paul says:
1Cor.12
[28] And God has appointed in the church first apostles, second prophets, third, teachers,
Eph.4
[11] And his gifts were that some should be apostles, some prophets, some evangelists, some pastors and teachers,
1Tim.2
[7] For this I was appointed a preacher and apostle (I am telling the truth, I am not lying), a teacher of the Gentiles in faith and truth.
2Tim.1
[11] For this gospel I was appointed a preacher and apostle and teacher,

Jesus says:
Matt.23
[8] But you are not to be called rabbi, for you have one teacher, and you are all brethren.

18. On the number to be saved:

Paul says:
Rom.11
[25] Lest you be wise in your own conceits, I want you to understand this mystery, brethren: a hardening has come upon part of Israel, until the full number of the Gentiles come in,
[26] and so all Israel will be saved; as it is written, "The Deliverer will come from Zion, he will banish ungodliness from Jacob.

Jesus says:
Matt.7
[13] Enter by the narrow gate; for the gate is wide and the way is easy, that leads to destruction, and those who enter by it are many.
[14] For the gate is narrow and the way is hard, that leads to life, and those who find it are few.

19. On the number and identity of pastors (shepherds):

Paul says:
Eph.4
[11] And his gifts were that some should be apostles, some prophets, some evangelists, some pastors (shepherds) and teachers,

Jesus says:
John.10
[16] And I have other sheep, that are not of this fold; I must bring them also, and they will heed my voice. So there shall be one flock, one shepherd.

20. On the number and identity of leaders:

Paul says:
1Cor.4
[15] For though you have countless leaders in Christ . . ..

Jesus says:
Matt.23
[10] Neither be called leaders, for you have one leader, the Christ.

21: On total depravity:

Paul says:
Rom.3

[9] What then? Are we Jews any better off? No, not at all; for I have already charged that all men, both Jews and Greeks, are under the power of sin,
[10] as it is written: "None is righteous, no, not one;
[22] For there is no distinction;
[23] since all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God, . . ..

Jesus says:
Matt.12
[35] The good man out of his good treasure brings forth good, and the evil man out of his evil treasure brings forth evil.
Luke.6
[45] The good man out of the good treasure of his heart produces good, and the evil man out of his evil treasure produces evil; for out of the abundance of the heart his mouth speaks.
Matt.23
[35] that upon you may come all the righteous blood shed on earth, from the blood of innocent Abel to the blood of Zechari'ah the son of Barachi'ah, whom you murdered between the sanctuary and the altar.

22. On unconditional election:

Paul says:
Rom.9
[16] So it depends not upon man's will or exertion, but upon God's mercy.

Jesus says:
Matt.7
[21] Not every one who says to me, `Lord, Lord,' shall enter the kingdom of heaven, but he who does the will of my Father who is in heaven.
[22] On that day many will say to me, `Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in your name, and cast out demons in your name, and do many mighty works in your name?' [23] And then will I declare to them, `I never knew you; depart from me, you evildoers.

23. On sacrifices to God:

Paul says:
1Cor.5
[7] For Christ, our paschal lamb, has been sacrificed.
Eph.5
[2] And walk in love, as Christ loved us and gave himself up for us, a fragrant offering and sacrifice to God.

Jesus says:
Matt.9
[13] Go and learn what this means, `I desire mercy, and not sacrifice.'

24. On remuneration for preaching the gospel:

Paul says:
1Tim.5
[17] Let the elders who rule well be considered worthy of double honor, especially those who labor in preaching and teaching;
[18] for the scripture says, "You shall not muzzle an ox when it is treading out the grain," and, "The laborer deserves his wages.
1Cor.9
[11] If we have sown spiritual good among you, is it too much if we reap your material benefits?
[12] If others share this rightful claim upon you, do not we still more?

Jesus says:
Matt.10
[7] And preach as you go, saying, `The kingdom of heaven is at hand.'
[8] Heal the sick, raise the dead, cleanse lepers, cast out demons. You received without paying, give without pay.

25. On how one becomes a child of God:

Paul says:
Rom.8
[23] and not only the creation, but we ourselves, who have the first fruits of the Spirit, groan inwardly as we wait for adoption as sons, the redemption of our bodies.
Gal.4
[5] to redeem those who were under the law, so that we might receive adoption as sons.

Jesus says:
John.3
[3] Truly, truly, I say to you, unless one is begotten from above,* he cannot see the kingdom of God.
[6] That which is begotten of the flesh is flesh, and that which is begotten of the Spirit is spirit.
[7] Do not marvel that I said to you, `You must be begotten from above.*

WWFStern

Holy crap! This is, like, the most exhaustive list ever.

Thanks!
http://mycaseagainstgod.blogspot.com

- My Case Against God -

Unbeliever

Hi WWFStern! Welcome!

Actually, I left quite a few out of the list because they were too vague, or otherwise unsuitable, so it's by no means exhaustive, but it is a good resource, I think.

Bronson

These things are not contradictions.
They are a result of your understanding of the Bible.  
   Bronson

Unbeliever

June 30, 2007, 10:48:40 am #21 Last Edit: June 30, 2007, 10:49:18 am by Unbeliever
Well, admittedly my understanding of the Bible is imperfect, though I've read it cover to cover 3 times, and studied it fairly extensively besides, but many of these are, nevertheless, quite contradictory. If you believe otherwise, you're perfectly welcome to explain which are not, and why.

Mavar-the-Atheist

THAT WAS THE LONGEST THREAD I'VE EVER SEEN! :lol:

You must've had a major hand cramp!
"It is an absurdity to believe that the Deity has human passions, and one of the lowest of human passions, a restless appetite for applause" -David Hume