March 28, 2024, 10:37:39 am

News:

This site is now on a new server!

Scopes Monkey Trial

Started by Unbeliever, November 13, 2007, 01:39:21 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Unbeliever

November 13, 2007, 01:39:21 pm Last Edit: August 01, 2008, 04:18:40 pm by Unbeliever
Clarence Darrow, during the Scopes Monkey Trial

One of the best movies ever, Inherit the Wind - it's got some great quotes, too! Here's one of my favorites:
Quote from: Spencer Tracy to Fredric March, in "Inherit the Wind",
.... all shine and no substance. You say you're giving people hope? I think you're stealing their hope. As long as the pre-requisite for that shining paradise is ignorance, bigotry, and hate.....I say to Hell with it!!

As if the place didn't become enough of a laughingstock in 1925!

Unpublished Photographs from 1925 Tennessee vs. John Scopes "Monkey Trial" Found in Smithsonian Archives

QuoteIn May 1925, a group of Dayton civic leaders met at F.E. Robinson's Drugstore (sign visible on right) and decided to challenge Tennessee's new statute against the teaching of evolution. One motivation for holding the trial in Dayton was to revive the town's flagging economy.

They didn't care about evolution! It was all about money!

[edit]
Here are some more good quotes:
Memorable Quotes
[/edit]
"Some say God is living there [in space]. I was looking around very attentively, but I did not see anyone there. I did not detect either angels or gods....I don't believe in God. I believe in man - his strength, his possibilities, his reason."
Gherman Titov, Soviet cosmonaut, in The Seattle Daily Ti

Angolo

You can watch the movie Inherit The Wind about the Scopes Monkey Tiral online. The movie is with Spencer Tracy, Gene Kelly & Stanley Kramer