March 28, 2024, 03:22:41 pm

News:

This site is now on a new server!

My Girlfriend

Started by littlegrimlin1, September 13, 2009, 04:55:27 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

littlegrimlin1

My name is Robert D. Wright

I am 16 years old and live in Hampton, GA.

I live with my girlfriend (don't ask, don't tell :D), and have lived with her for exactly 14 months... and I'll love her till death.

My problem ( not a majour one ), is that she is someone committed to a religion (Christianity).
She tells me one time of her past experiences with... 'ghosts' ;\

She believes that 'ghosts' ;\ are real, and she believes in Jesus and a god.
It does not appear that she is a heavy, nor even a light, but super light believer.  Even though it is not brought up on many occasions at all, it depresses me at times, just to know that she... has faith in a religion.  I try to nail it in her head that it cannot happen.  I ask, "Was it made of matter or energy?"  She says no, "So it must not exist"  Then the argument over it escalates, with me being the extreme atheist that I am.

So I ask you, my newly founded atheist community, what should I do?

- Robert D. Wright, 16
"Never again, will I believe in your God."

The Professor

Quote from: littlegrimlin1 on September 13, 2009, 04:55:27 pm
My name is Robert D. Wright

I am 16 years old and live in Hampton, GA.

I live with my girlfriend (don't ask, don't tell :D), and have lived with her for exactly 14 months... and I'll love her till death.

My problem ( not a majour one ), is that she is someone committed to a religion (Christianity).
She tells me one time of her past experiences with... 'ghosts' ;\

She believes that 'ghosts' ;\ are real, and she believes in Jesus and a god.
It does not appear that she is a heavy, nor even a light, but super light believer.  Even though it is not brought up on many occasions at all, it depresses me at times, just to know that she... has faith in a religion.  I try to nail it in her head that it cannot happen.  I ask, "Was it made of matter or energy?"  She says no, "So it must not exist"  Then the argument over it escalates, with me being the extreme atheist that I am.

So I ask you, my newly founded atheist community, what should I do?

- Robert D. Wright, 16

I suggest you accept her exactly the way that she is in the sure knowledge that you can not and will not change her.

Love, after all, means you take somebody with all of their flaws and accept them anyway.

Unbeliever

I can't add anything to the wise Professor's advice, but I'd like to warn you about posting your name and location in atheist (or any other) forums. It could lead angry faith-heads to your door - some of them are a bit on the fanatical side, and could be dangerous. Not trying to scare you, just want you to be careful.
"Some say God is living there [in space]. I was looking around very attentively, but I did not see anyone there. I did not detect either angels or gods....I don't believe in God. I believe in man - his strength, his possibilities, his reason."
Gherman Titov, Soviet cosmonaut, in The Seattle Daily Ti