March 28, 2024, 10:44:40 am

News:

This site is now on a new server!

The Newest Form of Water Is Hot and Black, Wait What?

Started by Unbeliever, June 04, 2019, 02:41:30 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Unbeliever

QuoteIt only took diamonds, x-rays, and a bunch of ultra-powerful lasers to create our newest form of water, Ice XVIII. And it might be the key to unlocking what's inside the mysterious ice planets of our solar system.

"The atomic structure of dynamically compressed H2O is characterized in situ using angular dispersive XRD recorded on multiple image plate detector panels (Fig. 1b). Focusing 16 laser beams on an iron (Fe) foil generates an intense X-ray pulse at 6.7 keV resulting from helium (He)-like atomic transitions. About 2 × 1012 X-ray photons are collimated by the 500-µm-diameter tantalum (Ta) aperture placed immediately behind the target package "

"This suggested superionic ice would conduct electricity, like a metal, with the hydrogens playing the usual role of electrons. Having these loose hydrogen atoms gushing around would also boost the ice's disorder, or entropy. In turn, that increase in entropy would make this ice much more stable than other kinds of ice crystals, causing its melting point to soar upward."

"In stark contrast to common ice, Ih, water ice at planetary interior conditions has been predicted to become superionic with fast-diffusing (that is, liquid-like) hydrogen ions moving within a solid lattice of oxygen. Likely to constitute a large fraction of icy giant planets, this extraordinary phase has not been observed in the laboratory. Here, we report laser-driven shock-compression experiments on water ice VII."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KkL_VJLJh_o
"Some say God is living there [in space]. I was looking around very attentively, but I did not see anyone there. I did not detect either angels or gods....I don't believe in God. I believe in man - his strength, his possibilities, his reason."
Gherman Titov, Soviet cosmonaut, in The Seattle Daily Ti